“WOW, a real dining experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 461 restaurants in Rotterdam
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Food that triggers and inspires. Food that brings back long forgotten memories. Food that is enjoyed together. The power of simple and pure. The magic of combining. The art of leaving things out. The history, the guts and the innovation of Rotterdam.Experience it all with us, at FG Restaurant.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“WOW, a real dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went to FG yesterday with my boyfriend and we had the set 3 course lunch. I chose to go for lunch as i thought it was a little pricey for dinner but now i have experienced it i will be going back for dinner as soon as possible!

Staff met us at the door, all very really friendly and knowledgeable on the food and wines. The food was absolutely fantastic and id say up there with some of the best i've ever had! The portion sizes i thought were perfect, we had a couple of canapes, bread and also a palette cleansing ice cream after the first course and then some treats at the end. Its more than just a 3 course lunch!

The ice cream after the starter was AMAZING, the waitress involved us in the preparation of it by mixing herbs with liquid nitrogen...it was like a chemistry lesson with an extremely tasty treat at the end! I enjoyed every minute of it. I could not find one fault with any of the food, it was all delicious. My only small negative (and it really didnt bother me but it may bother you) would be the time between courses, it wasn't a really long wait but perhaps a bit longer than in normal restaurants but the food made up for it so it really didn't bother me.

Ive been to 100's of restaurants where you get your food presented, you eat, you enjoy and thats it. This is something completely different, not only is the food tasty and beautifully presented but you get to be involved in it and if you are in a group the whole experience gives you plenty to talk about.

The head chef himself was there and came over to talk to us which i found really nice, i cant wait to go back!!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
Oslo, Norrway
“Not only positive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This restaurant is certainly very special and is highly praised but I have to admit being very uncertain how many stars I should give. We were a rather big group and there were good and not so good reviews among us. Let me start with the good ones; it was a show in food creation, artistic, fascinating and excellently presented by a staff that was very knowledgeable. Our 9-course dinner was a journey through many tastes and many fascinating presentations. The wine selection was also very good and also in this respect was the staff excellently explaining their choices.
So, why do I hesitate giving top marks? First of all it is the time. It took 4 hours before we came to the main course. By then we were very hungry and slightly intoxicated. Why does it have to be 30-40 minutes between each course? I´m tempted to say that the restaurant is too pre-occupied with the creative aspect. Then it was the fact that the dishes were, really, very, very small. You do not expect large portion when you order 9 dishes at this kind of cuisine but you do not expect to leave the place hungry, which is what happened to us. Finally, the price is not low (Euro 250 per head) but that must be expected at an establishment like this.

To conclude, I can absolutely recommend the place but suggest to the owners to be a bit more speedy and generous with the portions. It will not reduce the value of the concept. I will be back to check it out and see if I understand the concept better next time.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Epic Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Wow! I'm struggling to find words to describe this restaurant...it really is the ultimate dining experience without the pretence and theatre of establishments like The Fat Duck. We had a surprise menu with accompanying wines with each course. In total I counted about a dozen courses including some delightful amuse bouches...and each course was delightful in its own way. Stand out dish for me was the stone cooked beef...I wanted to lick the plate! Even visiting the gents was a great experience. Amazing, friendly team both front and back of house. I cannot praise this place enough. Others take note, this is how it should be done. Thanks FG, I'll be back!

• Visited July 2013
Utrecht
“Dining heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining in this restaurant a few month ago, when it was still 'Ivy's', and it was a remarkable experience. The restaurant was packed (saturday night), hot, loud and buzzing. Almost like walking in a night club. You are immediately grabbed by this atmosphere. the audience was young and hip, where other Michelin-star restaurants nearby tend to attact an older audience. So we felt at home, which was aplified by the casual but skilled staff. The meals were outstanding; bold and daring, high on flavors and full of surprises. Wines good and plenty. Chef François Geurds doing his rounds at the end of the evening, just pulling up a chair and listening with interest to your feedback/compliments. Only downside, to me, was the high volume of table preparations, for which there is not too much room, and can be a bit distracting. This must be one of the best restaurants in the Netherlands at this time.

• Visited April 2013
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Does not get better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Every second is awesome. The staff is attentive in a very natural way. I found the dishes have lots of humor, and you explore new tastes and foodfeel all the time. so you automatically get into a good mood. An evening like a week's vacation. Same price, though, too.

• Visited June 2013