“Nice stay on a boat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SS Rotterdam

Save Saved
You added SS Rotterdam to your Saves list
SS Rotterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3E Katendrechtsehoofd 25, 3072 AM Rotterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Cruise Hotel)   |
Ranked #13 of 53 hotels in Rotterdam
Toronto, Canada
“Nice stay on a boat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed on the SS Rotterdam for 2 nights since a conference I was attending was taking place on the ship. It was kind of cool to have it on a boat and getting to stay on the boat is a bit different too. The boat is absolutely huge. I unfortunately didn't get to see too much of the boat since I was attending the conference most of the time. But I can say that the food was alright for the Netherlands. A huge breakfast spread, the usual sandwiches, savoury pastries and milk at lunchtime and a nice variety of food at dinner where there was the conference social event. Service was quite good I found during all of the food service times.
My room was big for a boat room (they are usually tiny), but I did have a superior room. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. Of course, the windows don't open since it's a boat. The mini-library in my room was a nice touch, but too bad I don't know any Dutch! The doors aren't that sound proof and you really hear it when people walk by in the hallway or close their doors. The cleaning staff for some reason also came knocking on all of the doors in the morning which I am sure is disruptive for those who want to sleep in.
For those here to really visit Rotterdam itself, it's not exactly an ideal location since it's not in the centre and not close to public transport, so you will either need a car, or do as the Dutch do and ride a bike.
But overall, I did enjoy the stay here since it's not every day that I get to stay in a hotel on a boat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Khon Kaen, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The location is a bit outside the city, but not too far.
Easy with taxi.
For someone never been on a ship before, this can be very confusing, as the layout on a passenger ship and land based hotel is very different.
After a while, one get used to it and can get around more easily.
A bit noisy sometimes since this is a steel hulled hotel, and not the traditional cement, thus noises travel more easy.
All in all, it is ok to stay there, and very nice if one has maritime interests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The first impressions of the SS Rotterdam are very good! I arrived at night and the ship looked very nice with lots of lights illuminating the top decks.
This quality is continued as you enter the ship and make your way to the Reception. All of the fittings/handrails/carpets etc are of excellent quality and make the whole place feel very up market.

The reception staff were very nice and friendly and had no problem welcoming me regardless of the fact I was arriving at half past midnight.

The rooms on the other hand were very unspectacular. Although they are not 'bad' they do not seem to live up to the high standard that the rest of the hotels public areas have to offer.
There are two main restaurants available on the ship. Both of which are rather expensive. One is a set menu starting at 69euros upwards.

There is a 'sun terrace' that is used in the summer for dining and drinking. Although this was not available due to the weather when I was there, I feel this could be very pleasant giving the correct conditions.

Two bars are also available on board both of which are very comfortable and a pleasure to relax in. Prices for spirits are very high (around 6-9 Euros + soft drink charge) although Beer prices are more reasonable (just over 4 Euros for a 0.5 litre)

Unfortunately the location is not the best in my opinion. A drive is required to enter the city centre but only takes around 10 minutes.

Overall I think this is a very pleasant hotel to stay in and would recommend anybody visiting Rotterdam that does not mind a drive/public transport into the centre.

I feel the SS could be improved by offering Wi-Fi in the rooms and by improving the quality of the rooms themselves ( better bed linen, double beds rather than two singles together etc...)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

If you are lookig for pro-active, hospitbale and diligent staff, im afraid to say this is not the hotel for you. Granted, sitting on the open deck in the sun with a beer looking over Rotterdam is extremely nice and a very novel idea. But like all novel ideas key fundementals have been overlooked.

For instance the windows do not open in the rooms and if your air-con is not up to standard it soon gets very colostrophobic and stuffy. Numerous times me and my colleagues had to chase up food and beer orders that we had made with staff. Numerous times we were served beer that had been left standing and was flat. It got to a point of frustration at sometimes.

I asked a young gentleman waiter if there was a gym on board and got the response "dont know" then he walked away. I mean im not a snob but surely " i dont know sir? But i can find out" would have been a standard repeonse for someone in the hotel indusrty?

Later than evening we dined in the fine dining restaurant and to my sheer amazement 3 tables over a couple had a dog sitting at the table with them?! i know this beacuse it was barking! surely this is not an allowed ettiquette in Rotterdam? like I say im no snob and relatively new to this business class travel scene but this was too much.

The food was of a good standard, the fillet steak was cooked well and i enjoyed it. I did however find a piece of foil in my dessert and left it in plain sight on the plate for the waitress to see but she didnt comment. At this point though i had lost any inclination to complain i knew what i was getting with the staff.

If this hotel had an infrastructure overhaul it would be very good in my opinion, at the moment it is average to poor, if i was paying out of my own pocket i would have come away dissappointed to be completely honest (and im a tolerant 27 year old).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We went for City trip to Rotterdam and Amsterdam and we stayed two days at the Ss Rotterdam in a New York suite room 1025(very calm).
We had a menu surprise on Friday and it was excellent, great service and quality of food. Staff was very smiley and we had good time.
Bed were really nice and we slept like babies :)) amazing.
Saturday we went to Amsterdam which is 70km far from Rotterdam, parking is very expensive in Holland around 5 eur/ hour. The hotel proposes a parking in from of the boat at 15 eur/ day. From there you can take a bus to the underground and go to the city center to lijnbaan for really good shopping.
Breakfast was great and bread and Holland cheeses are excellent.
Do not hesitate to take on this cruise it was really nice and my daughter loved it.
Point of improvement is that you have to pay to visit the boat,
Enjoy if you go there

Room Tip: 1025 was on the main deck and we had no noise as far from the ball room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Villa Opicina, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I booked here 2 nights, following the suggestion of some colleagues. The place is remote: from the station take into account metro + bus for a total of 35 minutes, otherwise take a taxi. Then you came onboard, in a real ship. It seems that the time stopped at 60's, Rooms are nice, well equipped. No wifi in the room, but an ethernet cable reminds you that if you have an ipad you should always bring with you a wifi spot (just in these cases). The fact that windows can't be opened in the ship means that dust can be a problem to allergic people (like me). I spent 2 night and had mild problems just once.
Public areas in the ship are generally closed (theater, ball room, card room, etc...) except on special occasions. Restaurant is fair, breakfast has a large selection. I would reccomend it for the atmosphere.

Room Tip: Avoid inside rooms, if you like to have at least an opening to the seaview.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Spa, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

As a Rotterdam, I find it shocking to see how eager we are to prevent tourists from coming to our city. From a horrendous public transport system and the impossibility to park in Rotterdam without a Dutch bank account to the overall appalling state of service in most restaurants and bars, we will literally do anything to maintain Amsterdam as tourist destination number one. SS Rotterdam is no exception.

Let's start with the fact that you need to pay for parking. There are very few other ways to reach the Rotterdam other than your own car, so why the hotel hasn't decided to provide parking is beyond me. I asked the receptionist about this and she provided a helpful, nothing to do with me. This was, by the way, after she handed me the key without informing about anything in the hotel. Some info would be helpful (where or when is breakfast, how do I log in, thank you for waiting more than twenty minutes to check in - the usual I guess).

Moving on to the room, I do enjoy the fact that it is on a ship and I do understand that the windows don't open. I quite like the decor even but the quality of the bed was beyond shocking. We were given a twin even though my wife and I have only recently married and wished for a double. We still like the closeness you see; something that was prevented by the fact that the beds kept drifting apart. Nothing to do with the motion of the sea by the way. More importantly, though, was the problem that each bed was more like a hammock than a bed. You know the kind of bed I am talking about. the one in which your bottom is sleeping a good three inches lower than your head and feet...

Some reviews have already considered the staff and unfortunately, on our visit, this was not different. A few exceptions aside, a lot of the staff were uninterested and badly informed of, for example, their own food. One member of the gift shop was so bold as to tell us off for heading the wrong direction to the breakfast room. Our party of four looked at each other and luckily we were able to laugh it off but that was rudeness taken to a different level. I think we all felt seven again.

Breakfast was lovely but in all fairness, for the price you pay (including parking obviously), I think this is just not worth it. There are more ships to sleep on and the set-up at the Rotterdam just gives you precious little extra reason to choose her.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to SS Rotterdam? Share your experiences!