“refreshing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Botanical Gardens (Hortus Botanicus)

Botanical Gardens (Hortus Botanicus)
Rapenburg 73, Leiden, The Netherlands
Houston, Texas
105 attraction reviews
“refreshing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We arrived in Leiden on the train from Amsterdam and in spite of being tired after getting settled in our hotel, we decided to walk to the Hortus Botanicus. I am so glad we did - it lifted our spirits to wander in the greenhouses (oh my those carnivorous pitcher plants and those ginormous amazon lilypads!) and around the grounds. I was amazed at the huge old trees and they provided perfect cover when a rain shower blew through. The plants are well documented and I enjoyed the historical and scientific information provided throughout the gardens. Go take a stroll through the gardens and along the picturesque canal and unwind when traveling stresses pile up!

Visited July 2012

• Polish first
The Netherlands
40 attraction reviews
“Great green visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Hortus Botanicus in Leiden is one of the oldest in the world (founded in 1590), and the oldest in the Netherlands. It has beautiful old trees, among which is the famous Ginkgo tree planted in 1785. When we visited the Hortus Botanicus, some of the greenhouses were undergoing renovations, but we were able to visit part of the collection of tropical plants, such as orchids and the victoria amazonica. If the weather is nice, I'd recommend taking a picnic basket and enjoying the shade of the trees by the Rein River.

Visited May 2012
Utrecht, The Netherlands
22 attraction reviews
“A historical garden, but not in the best state when I was there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I went to the Hortus, it is something special, one of the oldest gardens in the world, first plants date back from 1594 !... The garden is still important for the university, for research and it has some special plants/ a special collection.., but when I was there a considerable part was closed due to renovations. Most of the flowers had finished blooming and part of the garden still needed to maintained (the personal was working, hard, so maybe I was simply there at the wrong time)... It is a lovely place next to the singel.. An ideal part for relaxation ( I saw quite some students that were just there to enjoy the lovely weather!).

It is a nice spot, with a great history, but I have seen nicer botanical gardens!.

Visited July 2012
The Hague, The Netherlands
132 attraction reviews
“A small but wonderful green oasis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Last year I visited Leiden with my dad who was born in this very interesting historical city that has a lot to offer. One of his favorites is the Hortus Botanicus, located in the center. And I love it too, every time I am walking in the Hortus Botanicus (famous for its Victoria Regina) I enjoy the silence. It has a very peaceful atmosphere that welcomes the visitors to have a look at all those wonderful plants and flowers in a very relaxed way. The Hortus Botanicus is small but divided into captivating parts, from the greenhouse to a garden that featured a nice exhibition of modern inspired statues during our stay. You can take a rest on one of the seats, then you will feel your heart beat as it should be, thanks to Mother Nature with the help of the human being ...

Visited July 2011
London, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Hortus Leiden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

So informative and helpful. This garden is part of the University and provided a perfect setting to our discovery and understanding of plantlife.

Visited April 2012