“Amazing Restaurant Find!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Parker, Colorado, United States
“Amazing Restaurant Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This restaurant was one of the best restaurants that we have been to in Europe. French Style dining with a Dutch flare. Excellent presentation and tremendous quality courses. What an amazing night!

western ma
“best meal in netherlands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I stopped at Dartel for lunch. After we were seated and ordered water we realized that they have a set menu for lunch which did not appeal to us. The chef made us both special lunches which were incredibly delicious. The presentation was camera ready for a food magazine. The service made us feel very special. it was by far the best meal we had in our 10 days in the Netherlands.

Leiden
“One of Leiden's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This restaurant is an absolute must for all; Leidenaars and visitors, foodies and non-foodies. The location is triple A, right in the heart of the historic center of Leiden only 100 yards from one of the places where Rembrandt used to live. The food is absolutely superb and seems to get even better on every successive visit. Recently an 8-course gastronomic tasting menu was introduced, which is a fabulous gastronomic experience that lasts the entire evening. The food in itself is magnificent, with some courses being magical pieces of art, whereas the portions are very keen: each course is modest yet satisfying, with the whole being the perfect amount for an entire meal! Together with the wonderful wine paring suggested by sommelier Judith van Vliet, this place will not disappoint even the most critical visitor. We are fairly experienced foodies (visiting Michelin-starred restaurants at least 8 times per year) but we will keep coming back to Dartel! Enjoy!

New York
“Very good, not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The service was good, the food was very good, the location is absolutely charming and the decor is lovely. I expected more from the food though. Nothing made me stop and think, "wow!" As I have experienced in other restaurants in Leiden. It was clever, but not delicious. The wine pairings were uninspired. I actually left a third of the cheese course, which I'm not sure I have ever done before, as cheese is my favourite part of most meals. It was just blah. Worst of all, you do not take a reservation for 9PM and start cleaning the restaurant, with staff leaving in a very obvious way, at 10:30. Someone was cleaning the espresso machine not four feet from me as I was eating my cheese course. It was loud. There was steam. And people have commented that this restaurant deserves a Michelin star? No. It does not.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Excellent cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The quality of the cooking is excellent, with finest ingredients. There is little choice, except for the number of courses you want, but the chef is willing to negotiate for vegetarians. He produced veggie options to match the number of courses my companion chose. We opted for the recommended wines to accompany the food, and suitable different wines were produced to go with my veggies. A bit pricey, but not extortionate, and definitely worth it.