“This is definitely what a Chinese restaurant should FEEL like!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Doing business
Good for: Doing business
Piraeus, Greece
“This is definitely what a Chinese restaurant should FEEL like!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have had the most pleasant gastronomic experience at the PEKING Restaurant, in the lovely city of Delft, in the Netherlands. A couple of weeks ago I took a stroll into the leafy city-center, looking for some decent meal. Only minutes off the main square, I came accross this incredibly clean restaurant, featuring a delightful buffet option - proved to be excellent value for money, Wok cooks ready to prepare one's choice of food, a wide array of appetizers, firsts as well as deserts, drinks included in the price and above all the unpretentious and spontaneous kindness of the staff. Definitely worth a try. Tip: closed on Tuesdays. Given the wide popularity of the site, booking one's table in advance would be wise.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Uttoxeter
“Dining out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very spacious restaurant.Staff very willing to move tables to facilitate our needs.Food very good an reasonably priced.Just don't order to many dishes,we couldn't eat all we ordered and others seemed to be making same mistake-share meals,but don't order extras.

Visited May 2013
Delft, The Netherlands
“Disappointing Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had lunch at Pecking today and being my first visit opted for a small selection, soup, dim sum and prawn crackers, the basic which i always order to test the quality of the food. My reasoning is that if these basics are done well, the more involved dishes should be worth sampling. Being newly resident in Delft the lack of choice when it comes to Chinese and Japanese food of quality is a huge disappointment especially coming from London where even the smallest town has more to choose from and the quality although varied is high compared with my experiences here.

The prawn cracker came in two large sheets which are quite popular in many restaurants now but these were so disappointing as they lacked any flavour and were very dry, almost powdery as if they had been sat in a draw for weeks. My won ton soup came in a white broth which I have never seen before and was filled with cabbage and spring onion. I didn't mind the vegetable garnish which varies from place to place, as it was fresh but the dumplings looked grey and had a strange taste. Won ton is usually served in a meat broth but here it was more like a vegetable stock cube to which water had been added. I'm sorry to say this is the worst example of this soup I have tasted. My dim sum which consisted of four steamed prawn dumplings and four pork parcels looked better, however the prawns were minced and had a very salty substance added while the pork was again pale and tasteless.

It is such a shame because the service was faultless and the restaurant is beautifully decorated and in a great position in the centre of town. Looking around I saw that fellow diners were tucking into food which reminded me home cooked Chinese food from the 80's before we really knew what we were doing! It is clear to me that there are sufficient people in Delft with the the income to support a variety of high quality restaurants as evidenced from the rest of the area; why are the Asian proprietors so reluctant to step up to the plate? Looks like I will have to keep heading into The Hague if I want to eat good Chinese food and I'd advise you to do the same.

Final thought - the complete absence of chop sticks spoke volumes, this is lazy, watered down 'Chinese - style' food aimed at tourists and people who don't know any better. Avoid until the management are ready to be taken seriously.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Went to Peking two nights in a row!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Normally I do not like 'all you can eat' restaurants. The quality of the food can be questionable. When faced with finding a restaurant in central Delft that could accommodate a group of 17 people, many of whom had different eating habits, I definitely lucked out when I found Peking Restaurant. They have a full range of Asian specialities, and you can also choose your food from a buffet that you can then bring to a chef who will either wok it of cook it on the griddle. Food was excellent, and you had 2.5 hours to stay and eat at your pace. All soft drinks, plus bottled waters is included, as well as a variety of sweets and desserts.Cost for about 23 Euros per person (Sunday night), pricey for American dollars, but the students loved it!

The following night, on a Monday, my colleague and I returned as it was close to our hotel and it was too cold to walk around looking at menus. The cost of the weekday for 21 Euros.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Visited March 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“amazing wok buffet in pleasant ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have visited the restaurant with friends and children and I really appreciated the variety of food and attention of the staff. The staff bring immediately the child chair, clean the tracesleft by kids, help children to make their choice etc. One of the infrequent wok restaurant where children are very welcome. We have found plenty of food suitable for kids (including 6 different kinds of ice) and infinite choice for adults: teppanyaki (including frogs leg's), indonesian warm buffet, chinese wok buffet with a choice of 6 different sauces, fresh fruits, non-alcoholic drinks included in the price... We are visiting this restaurant for years and we were never dissapointed.

• Visited May 2012