After a visit nearly 25 years ago, I had a chance to visit Veere again with my wife and two college aged sons.
If you have a day or day and half to spare, try to make the trip to Veere, NL. You can check out the town in detail on-line, but in summary its a VERY quaint town directly on the Veerse Meer (sea) about 90 minutes north of Bruges and 90 minutes south of Rotterdam. Short history – founded in 1200 its wealth was based on the Scottish wool trade which allowed it to build some pretty neat towers, houses, ramparts and a small “fortress” . The hotel Campveersa Toren is built in the old fortress.
So on to Hotel Campveerse Toren…
- Nicely appointed, relatively good sized and recently renovated rooms. In room coffee maker. Free Wi-fi.
- Many rooms with nice views on the quay or sea (about 25 feet away)
- Pretty new bathrooms done with nice tile and fixtures. No bathrobes.
- But, keep in mind, it’s an older hotel (opened in 16th century), so no AC and heat is controlled via a knob on the radiator (works fine, as long as you know that this is the system)
- Some rooms are in the walled fortress; some are in the attached building along the quay. There is good info on this on their website
- Parking is about 50 yards away in the public lot but only 5 euros per day sponsored by the hotel.
- Breakfast is included, and is meal; bread, rolls, cheeses, meats, boiled egg, served at your table. Plus small buffet with fruit salad, yogurt, cereals, etc.
- Staff is small (two), but very attentive
The Hotel restaurant is really something special. It’s in the fortress tower and seats only about 20 people. The food is extremely well prepared and presented… with a focus on local fish and lobsters. There is a very good wine list. But, its not cheap… a group of six with two courses each, desert, beers, two bottles of mid-range wine, after dinner port was about 580 Euros. But to be fair, it was “Veerse Meer Lobster season” and three had lobster (at about 60 Euro per person).
If you are looking for something a bit away from the typical tourist spots, want to spend some time on the Veerse Meer, maybe rent a bike, and experience a real “fortress” I’d highly recommend this hotel and restaurant.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Romantik Hotel Auberge du Campveerse Toren reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.