“Unique” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Museum Speelklok

Museum Speelklok
Steenweg 6, 3511 Utrecht, The Netherlands (Lange Elisabethstraat Mariaplaats)
+31 30 231 2789
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 73 things to do in Utrecht
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum Speelklok, the most cheerful museum in the Netherlands! During a visit to the typical Dutch Museum Speelklok, cheerful live music will surround you from centuries-old self-playing musical instruments. The history of these instruments started back in 16th century the Netherlands with the use of church carillons. Over the centuries, the general desire of people to be surrounded by music, led to the invention of all sorts of self-playing musical instruments: musical clocks, musical boxes, orchestrions (self-playing orchestras) and the traditional Dutch street organs. All of these instruments, including the famous street organ named Arabier and the so-called 8th world wonder the Violina, can be admired and heard during the lively museum tour. Thanks to the highly skilled Restoration Workshop, the collection is kept playing and this craft can be passed on from this generation to the next.
Long Island NY
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I am sure there is no place like this in the world. If you are in the area, don't miss it. Be sure to take the tours. The day we were there, there were 2 different ones.

Visited August 2013

• Indonesian first
Perth, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Quirky and interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We took refuge here early on a very wet Sunday morning and was surprised to really enjoy this museum. There was no tour available when we arrived but the young attendants were enthusiastic and I enjoyed my turn "playing" a pianola as they showed us how some of the exhibits worked. Generally all rather good fun and a welcome distraction from the rain.

Visited October 2013
Utrecht, The Netherlands
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Something completely different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

There's a tour aroud all kinds of bell and organ related items (clocks for example). Very interesting, with explanations by a guide in Dutch and English. It something you will find in very few places.

Visited November 2012
Wroclaw, Poland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very recomended for children”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

It is very nice museum, for childre special, for me ( age around 30 was a little boring ) I don't recomended for people in my age guided with tours, our guideman was very boring and he looks he didn't like this job, but for children speeklok presentation was for sure very exciting, its nice museum with nice gofts in the shop:)

Visited September 2013
Haydon Bridge, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Surpassed my expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I'm afraid I was not expecting to enjoy this museum but it ended up being one my favourites in Utrecht. The exhibition is really interesting and very interactive. I would recommended this to anyone visiting Utrecht.
I think it would have been expensive if I didn't have a MuseumKaart.

Visited September 2013