“A place for rock gigs” 5 of 5 stars

Belgrade
14 attraction reviews
“A place for rock gigs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

First I would like to ask TripAdvisor people ti correct the name of the city - it's Utrecht, not Amsterdam!! Address is good, but change it, please, it's in Utrecht!

Tivoli de Helling is placed ca. 20 minutes walk from Museum Quarter, and reminds me a little bit on Cabaret Aleatoire in Marseilles; you should walk under a underpass to get there, and the building is probably ex-factory.

(Don't confuse this venue with anotrher venue - Tivoli Oudegracht, which is actually situated in Museum Quarter.)

I arrived in Utrecht for the first time in my life to see Weeding Present live. They were on "Hit parade" tour, which meantt taht they would perform 12 singles from the collection of the same name,

Utrecht is nice "like a candy box" as a serbain architecture wrote once for Amsterdam. I landed at Schiphol and took a train to the Utrecht. Utrecht Centraal is huge, and moreover under renovation, whichis going to last for years...
I couldn't find way out of the station!
i aksed a nice girl at some stand and she gave me a map and pointed me to the exit.

My landlady has a nice web site of her apartmenst, and I could copy the directions from Utrecht Centraal to her address. It's a 15 minutes walk through Utrect streets...

I discovered a triangle of cafés:: Orloff, Heen&Weer and Jan de Winter.
It was raining in Utrecht, the rain welcomed me with the tears.
From the window of Jan de Winter cafe one can see the terrace of Heen&Weer cafe.

Utrecht girls and women are not shy and they do not hesitate to show their legs on bicycles on narrow cobblestoned city alleys.

Orloff is known after coffee and wide choice of beer; it is open to 01.00 in the morning.
Heen&Weer offers even more peculiar types of beer plus nice apple pie.
jan de Winter is typical brown cafe.

I tasted food in two French restaurants - Le Bibelot, and Bresson. Not bad but not heavenly good either. The day after wedding Present gig I visited my 85 year old aunt in Hague (Dutch Trains are awsome!), and had lunch in nursing home in which she is living now, and the roast beef with peper sauce I got there ws better than fancy in rather expensive French restaurants.

Ok, what with Tivoli de Hellin I hear you asking.

I arrived at the time the gate should opens but everzthing was closed. I saw only a one-handed guy. Like in a horror movie. Soon the gate lwas lifted however,

Friendly big guy at the entrance scanned the barcode on my e-ticket and I got in.
Small draft beer for only 2.5 eur, extremely clean toilets, smoking lounge - I could only gratulate to Tivoli de Helling.

The first band was Amsterdam-based band Labasheeda, They played for 45 minutes. Saskia van der Giessen sings, plays guitar and violin,

And then The Wedding Present. I would preffer "George Best" tour instead for "Hit parade", but it was my problem. I had to live with other playlist.

And then, when Wedding Present-guys was abput to begin - also bass guitarist Katharine Wallinger, good looking girl who - I think - also noticed my presence there...
(Ok, O know that this sounds like a short story fo Yugoslavian writer Ivo Andric ("The signs" is the title), but I think we were going to develop some flirting affair there in the front of the Tivoli stage...)
And then, a ca. 60 years old came in in the wheelchair, pushed by another ca. 60 year old guy. The space in the front of the stage was strangely empty as no one had a desire to stand next to the musicians. I was preparing to do so, but...

I know that all this sounds politically incorrect, but this guy in the wheelchair was kicking with his legs, and during all the concert he was driving in circles, runnig over the feet of the people, and occasionally teasing and disturbing a women who was recording the whole gig.
You can see her on this youtube video made by myself here:::

Later during the gig, another also repuslive ca. 60 year old guy un leather jacket came in, and pushed me away with his shoulder whilst he was rushing to say hello to the annoying man in the wheelchair.

And only later when I got back to my room, wet soaked ater walking on Utrecht rain, I said to myself, damned it, you payed a flight to The Netherlands, you payed not cheap room, yu bought a ticket to see Wedding Present, and some man is ruining it just because he feels he has right to do it,
I am not even sure that this man needed a wheel chair; what it was a bad practical joke (he moved his legs anyway)? Like in the film "Women in red" with Gene Wilder (there was a "blind" man who performed a joke.) I said to myself "you should have reacted... and had you showed resitance to that passive-agressive guy and his ugly escort, you would have felt better now..."

But, what a pastinak, the gig was good, because the david gedge and the cure are the profeessionals. They gave their best although the place wasn't full and the atmosphere wasn't high at the beginning. I got a glimpse of what the band can do in the best circumstances.

Tivoli is a cute place for rock gigs.

After the gig i was walking on the rain to my room, got soakd wet, and then I decided to have a few chill out beers at cafe Orloff. I got dry after those beers, and the rain stopped in the mean time. And then, when I went out to get some fast food comfort to take away to my room, on the seconf floor of a nice Dutch buliding and looking forward to another climbing almost alpinistic adventure on tzpically steep and narrow Dutch stairs, I began to rain again. Never mind, no one has died of rain yet. Near the mentioned triangle of cafes there is a non-stop snack corner, with kebab, fried cheese, ice cream and beverages. Blessing! .

Visited September 2013