“excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Utrecht
Rome, Lazio, Italy
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

very very good. best value for money.
free breakfast, abundant and good.
clean modern silent room.
very comfortable beds.
free parking.

lacks four bad rooms good for family travels.
far away from city center (but we had a car...).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Lovely new Holiday Inn Express with modern decor, accessible to Utrecht by bus or car. We were traveling on foot, so relied on public transport mainly, which in the Netherlands is excellent. The taxi there was about 10 Euros which we took from Utrecht. A limited free shuttle bus service.

A small range of breakfast options in a self-service setting. All breakfast choices were well-stocked and breakfast tables very clean. Breakfast was included in my rate having booked in advance! This was very pleasing as several hotels I looked at did not include this!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had to stay here for extended business, almost 4 weeks, and got to know the area very well. Utrecht is beautiful, more so than Amsterdam in my opinion. Staff is great, they have a good breakfast. No lunch or supper facilities but you can order take-away and they have a nice little bar for drinks. Best of all, rent a bike from the Hotel and cycle around. Lots of places to go and if you go into Utrecht, plan for a lot of fun. Nothing beats cycling in Holland in the city! Bike to the train station, take the train into Amsterdam for the day, it's a 20 minute ride.

Driving here, as I did, is a bit of a pain. My GPS had outdated maps so navigating the A2 was a bit problematic, but we managed. Turned out I didn't use the car much (the company I was visiting was right next door), if I had to do it again, I'd have taken the train from Schiphol and a cab from the station to the hotel (~20 euros).

Rooms were comfortable, they could be improved if they had a fridge. Like I said, I was on extended business and eating out/take-away all the time gets tiresome. So I would bike to the local Albert Heijn (grocery chain) across the river, pick up some food and bring it back. A fridge would have allowed me to keep some meat/cheese on hand to make sandwiches. (not to mention a few cold beers).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kenosha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I usually stop here before catching my plane in Amsterdam. Good prices, clean room, quiet place but average breakfast.
The downside is that it seems there are not so many restaurants close by.
Overall great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had a great stay here when we were over the timewarp festival. Friendly staff, love the new holiday inn express modern decor, apart from the bathroom door abit strange to as its abit see through, not good for privacy if your sharing with a male friend! Breakfast great and bar area great with acesses to the internet which was very handy.

Room Tip: One thing i would say is allow your self enough time to get to airport using taxi as we hit traffic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here during first week of July. I found the hotel's location in Papendorp not to be a problem at all (I tend to do a bit of research beforehand via Google Street Maps, etc). Sure it's located outside the town (it's in the middle of a IT business park) but I found it to be very pleasant.

The quality of the hotel room for me, was very fine. It was spacious and everything worked. I had a bit of an issue with the shower drain on my last day only as it didn't drain water quickly enough and as a result, leaked onto the floor.

The breakfast i found satisfactory but a lot of the meat slices are in packets. This took a bit of getting used to but wasn't a problem overall.

What you have to remember is that this is a Holiday Inn Express and with regard to food, only serves breakfast. There is no restaurant per se on-site but one is located about a 5-10 min walk
away.

Transport links are fine. I like the free shuttle service they provide (it was a real help for me getting to Utrecht Central station in the mornings). In addition, the bus stops are located within a 2 min walk away.

I found the staff to be very helpful overall bearing in mind that I am from England and some of the terms I used they were unsure of (a fault that resides solely with me). Though we had quite a few laughs when I told them about ordering a pint of beer when they refer to it as large.

Overall I am very happy with my experience at HI Papendorp and if in Utrecht again, would be more than happy to book there again

• Stayed July 2013
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I use these hotels quite a lot, this one is new and above average with all you would expect.(not a lot)
The location is a bit strange, it is on a business park and if you get there in the evening as I did it is dead. There is nothing there and as there is no food available at he hotel in the evening you have to get a take away or go out to a restaurant.
The breakfast is ok.
Typical of the chain.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Utrecht - Papendorp, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear David T,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Utrecht - Papendorp? Share your experiences!