“Clean, good food & service.” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Arienslaan 1, 3573 Utrecht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Utrecht
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oslo, Norway
“Clean, good food & service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Impressed with the staff service and food. Great breakfast and A la Carte menu.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

We booked 1 night in the Mitland Hotel via a discount website. Taking this in consideration, the stay was reasonable. However, if we had booked directly at the hotel, we would have payed a lot more, which in my opinion isn´t worth it.
Some good points..
The restaurant serves good food, altough a little overpriced.
The breakfast, 15 euro p.p., is good too. It even had champagne.
The looks out the hotel from the outside is pretty, the little lake on the backside is nice.
The bad points..
They had us pay for 4 persons (we were with 2) for breakfast (the girl on the desk said ´why did they do that´, while she was the one checking us in the day before, asking us if we wanted breakfast)
That same deskgirl was bratty in our opnion, my creditcard didn´t work at the hotel at first and as I told her that the card was perfectly fine (it worked the day before and directly after checking out I tried it somewhere else and it worked just fine) she didn´t try again.
The room needs updating, the walls had black stripes and the carpet had it´s best time.
As a guest you have to pay for the parking, while it isn´t even in the city center!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Bellbrook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

I have stayed at The Mitland in Utrecht, NLD 4 times over several years. They have made many improvements to the rooms including some air conditioning. Overall, it is a pleasant location, good staff & handy location to walk into the center city. My only real problems occurred at checkout. Someone had charged 3 meals to my room even though the name was clearly wrong. That ws easily cleared-up though it could have easily slipped through a complex bill (I was there 10 days). The second problem happened when they asked me if I wanted my bill in Euros or USD. I thought USD would be convenient. I had to scoot off to Amsterdam for my morning flight. When I returned home, I noticed that the bill was still in Euros but the charge slip was both Euros & USD. The fine print stated that the exchange rate was from Reuters and that 3% "international exchange fee" was added. Since the credit card automatically makes the exchange rate, this was simply, double dipping. The manager was surprised by the 3% charge & at a loss for words. That's 3% of an $1800 bill. I asked for no compensation. I recommend the Mitland Hotel but beware the billing practices; probably happens wherever travelers go in Europe, or elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
WYorks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

Just returned from a few days travelling in Belgium and the Netherlands staying a night in different cities. Our last night was spent at the Hotel Mitland just 2 days ago. Huge disappointment. This was the most expensive of all our stopovers for a 4* hotel and did not reach expectations. The major gripe was no air conditioning and wow was our room hot. Had no positive response to our complaint the room was about 40 degs C-offered an upgrade with additional charges. Already overpriced at over £100 , this is a hotel after all!! and my gripe is nobody should have to pay extra just to be able to sleep.This appears to be a standard scam of this hotel as they were well aware of the temp problem.I wouldn't recommend this joke hotel to anybody!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

I stayed at the Mitland with two other family members during a very hot week in Utrecht. Much of the hotel was not air-conditioned, so I was happy that our original room could be upgraded to one with AC (this was important since we were cramped in the very small room and spent some time there during the day). Unfortunately, the quiet AC unit was poorly placed and blew cold air on directly on the head of the beds at night. The third adult was accommodated with a fold down twin bed, which was much more comfortable than a sofabed. The extra person charge was 40 euros per day. The room we ended up in was a "superior" type, but frankly it was simply too small and poorly laid out to be really comfortable for two or three adults. For example, the built-in desk and chair were located at the foot of the bed and completely blocked access to the other side of the room when occupied. The lighting was good for reading at night in bed, but pretty harsh when turned on for the room. The bath was cramped but did have a separate shower -unfortunately the type with a metal lip at the entry that sliced one of my toes when I was not careful stepping in. Hotel staff were friendly and English fluent (of course), and the associated restaurant /cafe was adequate for a drink and a sandwich (did not try the regular menu for the restaurant, which had nice terrace seating, but had one great meal there which had been planned by my hosts). The breakfast was nothing special but had a fairly good selection (I appreciate European hotels stocking American cereals, but I have noticed that they tend to be the most sugary and refined types - how about adding some fiber rich varieties?). By the end of our stay, we were all pretty tired of the long 10 minute walk to the nearest bus station (buses are preferred way to get around Utrecht if you don't have a bike - buses are frequent but have no AC or ventaliation, which also got old as the week wore on). I have seen mixed opinions on the location issue, but basically it is fine for a day or two, but getting out to meetings, shopping, dinner, and the train station (30 min to Amsterdam) just becomes a chore when you have to walk 20 minutes to and from the stop every time you go by the hotel room. No problem for those with a car, of course. Internet service was fine and could be setup by ethernet or wi-fi for a daily rate. Another point for longer stays - the hotel has a "secret" self service laundry room (for a 15 euros charge), but I cannot recommend you use it. The machines are low capacity and slow, and the dryer seems more like a steam generator than a dryer with proper ventilation. There is a pickup laundry service, but we did not try it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

This hotel has one major drawback, especially for summer travel: NO AC. How is this possible for a 4-star hotel? I know it sounds crabby and very American, but I didn't have a comfortable night's sleep the 3 nights I was there, because I had a west-facing window and the sun doesn't go down in Holland in the summer till 10 pm. There was a fan you could put in the room but it didn't help much. The staff were also quite uncaring about this. I also can't believe 20 Euros/day to use internet in your room. But there are 3 computers in a loft in the entrance that you can use for free.
On the other hand, the breakfast is incredible, the place is very clean and calm and I thought the food was excellent. The wait staff were terrific, and I was amazed at everyone's high level of English. The pool and sauna are terrific. To get there from the central train station, take any bus that says "oorsproongspark" and then walk about 8 minutes to the hotel (map it first). otherwise you'll pay 20 Euros for a cab ride.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Stayed here for 3nights in mid June and had a great time.
The hotel is set on the grounds of a lovely park surrounded by a lake away from the hustle and bustle of Utrecht centre. The best way to get around is to rent bikes and you can do so from the hotel.
The rooms were lovely. Spacious, modern and very clean.
The leisure facilities were so relaxing, with gorgeous views. Nice little swimming pool, sauna, steam room, turkish baths etc.
The food was very nice,we had both dinner and breakfast.
The staff were very helpful.
Its about a 12euro taxi ride into the heart of Utrecht. Theres also a bustop about 10 minutes walk from the hotel that'll get you in the centre in no time.
This is a lovely hotel set in very peaceful surroundings not too far away from the city centre so you get the best of both worlds. I would highly reccomend.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mitland? Share your experiences!