“Cool Deluxe Hotel in a quiet area” 3 of 5 stars

Bastion Hotel Utrecht
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mauritiuslaan 1, 3526 LD Utrecht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Utrecht
Kampala, Uganda
“Cool Deluxe Hotel in a quiet area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed at Bastion Hotel Utrecht for 5 nights while on a trip Netherlands. The hotel is located in the out scats of Utrecht City less that 10 minutes drive by bus , tram or taxi . The location is so serene as it's surrounded by green quiet woods at the back while facing a not so busy road at the front.The rooms are spacious, fresh and have heating system.The view from the rooms towards the forest is very scenic. The staff are very helpful and attentive to every detail.I loved the place.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the forest are have a great scenic view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
BastionHotelGroep, Eigenaar at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear guest,

We want to thank you very much for your stay at Bastion Hotel Utrecht and for the the nice review which you have posted on Tripadvisor.

Bastion Hotel Groep stands for a personal atmosphere, hospitality, comfort and good facilities for an attractive price. Offering free Wi-Fi and a free parking are good examples of this.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in one of our hotels!

Team of the Bastion Hotel Groep

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Nice people at the reception but many issues with my room: very noisy fan running all night - seemed to come from the heating/air conditioning system, but even switched off the noise went on; only 1 electrig plug in the entire room, located over the bed and opposite to the desk: you can either load your computer or sit at the desk, but not both at the same time... and to make coffee with the room machine, I assume that you have to put it on the bed? ; very small shower gel and shampoo tubes provided (+/- 2cc each), no soap ; no hair dryer; basic shower; small room. Hotel is far from city centre and cost was close to 90 euros per night with a special company rate. It is absolutely not worth it. I will not go back there for my next trips in Utrecht.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear guest,

We have received your review regarding the Bastion Hotel Utrecht on Tripadvisor.

First of all we would like to apologize for the fact that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

We are very sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

The Bastion Hotel Groep wants to offer each guest personal hospitality and a high level of service.

We are truly sorry and we hope you can accept our apologies.

Team Bastion Hotel Groep
Venlo, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The room was, in despite of "deluxe"-booking, small and averagely equipped. The staff, mostly youngsters, where good at heart, but loud, had no class and didn't know about courteousness.
Breakfast-buffet was poorly equipped, buns runned out very fast, and new ones where not to be found (although they didn't taste too fresh...). The staff didn't really care that a bath was mentioned on their website that wasn't there in the whole hotel, and they gave me too tickets for a free drink, that where no good for the 2 normal priced drinks I ordered. Compared to other hotels where I stayed the most terrible experience ever.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else. Most hotels have more class, better service and a whole lot of a better breakfa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you can accept my apologies.

Dublin Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I always try to start a poor review with something positive, but I really found little positive about this stay. I will say that the whole place was very clean!

On arrival, I was greeted to a cloud of cigarette smoke in the lobby - which is adjacent to a snooker / games room. Checking in took a while. The room was basic and having booked a double room I was disappointed to find two small single beds. I found the wifi very slow (although I should say other colleagues thought it was fine). They advertise lunch from 11:00 to 23:00 but when I went down for lunch at noon, the entire restaurant (if you could call it that) was reserved. I was seated in the nearby lounge area and given a drink and a menu. It was another 30 minutes before I could attract someone's attention to order a toasted sandwich (which was quite nice).

Generally, I found the staff to be sullen and unhelpful from the get-go.

Others on Tripadvisor spoke about the railings around the hotel. I thought this was funny until I saw what they were talking about. It was like a jail and in the evening the large gates were closed over. In a quiet and dark area, it was not pleasant to have to use your key to open the gate and wait while it opened.

I would never stay in this hotel again and would not recommend it to colleagues.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear guest,

I hope you can accept my apologies.

Surrey.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night, on Tues 07 May 2013, on a business trip.

To get to this hotel you can take the tram from the city centre, so the journey is easy, once you know which tram to take and where to get off the tram ! My suggestion is to ask the hotel in advance for the tram route number and (before you leave home) look on Google Street view to view the location where the hotel is located, so you know where to get off the tram.

The hotel does indeed have an electrified fence (around the perimeter) and electrically operated gates. I assume that this is for security reasons during the night. When I was there, I had checked in to the hotel in the afternoon and went in to Utrecht centre during the evening for dinner. I had no problem getting back in to the hotel at about 11pm, despite the electric gates being shut. There is an intercom system, so you can speak to the person at Hotel Reception and ask for the gate to be opened.

I would describe this hotel as an average 3 star hotel. The only reason that I stayed there was because it was close to the two venues where I was attending meetings.

The breakfast was good. The bedroom / bathroom were good. But if you are expecting a hairdryer in the bedroom / bathroom, you may be disappointed.

Would I stay here again? If I have a business meeting at the same location near to this hotel, yes.

Room Tip: On a floor as high above ground level as possible, so as to minimise traffic noise if you open the b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you accept my apologies ,

Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

yes, it's out of the city center but that isn't such a bad thing. it was simple and clean with a great area to work adjacent to the dining area. The hotel was secondary to the staff--great people. It was the first time I'd laughed in the week I'd been in the Netherlands.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

I hope to meet you again at our hotel in Utrecht.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

As the hotel is a bit to of town I took the bus from Utrecht Central and had a few hundred metres still to the hotel. One is greeted with a chain link fence...you have to buzz to get in. Once in side cars and people are 'safe' as the fence goes around everything. I asked about the fence but no one really provided an answer...what does it say about the area! Initially the staff was fine and the room was adequate. (Single standard) I was on the 6th floor and thought the view was nice. The house keeping staff was pleasant as was the maintenance workers. Breakfast was in a nice room with lots of windows and the food was fine for being a continental breakfast. When checking out and leaving I did not find the staff overly helpful or cared much...little conversation, and little personality. I will probably find a more central hotel next trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, May 17, 2013

I hope you accept my apologies ,

Maik Willems

Been to Bastion Hotel Utrecht? Share your experiences!