“Not a happy camper” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Utrecht
Dublin Ireland
“Not a happy camper”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I always try to start a poor review with something positive, but I really found little positive about this stay. I will say that the whole place was very clean!

On arrival, I was greeted to a cloud of cigarette smoke in the lobby - which is adjacent to a snooker / games room. Checking in took a while. The room was basic and having booked a double room I was disappointed to find two small single beds. I found the wifi very slow (although I should say other colleagues thought it was fine). They advertise lunch from 11:00 to 23:00 but when I went down for lunch at noon, the entire restaurant (if you could call it that) was reserved. I was seated in the nearby lounge area and given a drink and a menu. It was another 30 minutes before I could attract someone's attention to order a toasted sandwich (which was quite nice).

Generally, I found the staff to be sullen and unhelpful from the get-go.

Others on Tripadvisor spoke about the railings around the hotel. I thought this was funny until I saw what they were talking about. It was like a jail and in the evening the large gates were closed over. In a quiet and dark area, it was not pleasant to have to use your key to open the gate and wait while it opened.

I would never stay in this hotel again and would not recommend it to colleagues.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you can accept my apologies.

Maik Willems

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Surrey.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night, on Tues 07 May 2013, on a business trip.

To get to this hotel you can take the tram from the city centre, so the journey is easy, once you know which tram to take and where to get off the tram ! My suggestion is to ask the hotel in advance for the tram route number and (before you leave home) look on Google Street view to view the location where the hotel is located, so you know where to get off the tram.

The hotel does indeed have an electrified fence (around the perimeter) and electrically operated gates. I assume that this is for security reasons during the night. When I was there, I had checked in to the hotel in the afternoon and went in to Utrecht centre during the evening for dinner. I had no problem getting back in to the hotel at about 11pm, despite the electric gates being shut. There is an intercom system, so you can speak to the person at Hotel Reception and ask for the gate to be opened.

I would describe this hotel as an average 3 star hotel. The only reason that I stayed there was because it was close to the two venues where I was attending meetings.

The breakfast was good. The bedroom / bathroom were good. But if you are expecting a hairdryer in the bedroom / bathroom, you may be disappointed.

Would I stay here again? If I have a business meeting at the same location near to this hotel, yes.

Room Tip: On a floor as high above ground level as possible, so as to minimise traffic noise if you open the b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

yes, it's out of the city center but that isn't such a bad thing. it was simple and clean with a great area to work adjacent to the dining area. The hotel was secondary to the staff--great people. It was the first time I'd laughed in the week I'd been in the Netherlands.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

I hope to meet you again at our hotel in Utrecht.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

As the hotel is a bit to of town I took the bus from Utrecht Central and had a few hundred metres still to the hotel. One is greeted with a chain link fence...you have to buzz to get in. Once in side cars and people are 'safe' as the fence goes around everything. I asked about the fence but no one really provided an answer...what does it say about the area! Initially the staff was fine and the room was adequate. (Single standard) I was on the 6th floor and thought the view was nice. The house keeping staff was pleasant as was the maintenance workers. Breakfast was in a nice room with lots of windows and the food was fine for being a continental breakfast. When checking out and leaving I did not find the staff overly helpful or cared much...little conversation, and little personality. I will probably find a more central hotel next trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, May 17, 2013

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Yesterday I stopt at the hotel for a drink. I walked in past the reception and asked the man if it was possible to just have à drink. Sure hè said and asked me to take à seat. I got cosy around the fireplace. As I tried to make eyecontact with one of the three staffmembers, off which one was allready Dressed in personal clothes but still behind THE counter-not done- no one saw me. THE boy started folding serviettes and THE girls were talking so loud about there private lives That I Could follow there conversation from 40 meters away. Finally, after 40 minutes!! I got so irritated That I Walked to THE bar to ask for à cappuccino myself. I was in à Hurry by now because I had à meeting so I went to THE bar to pay. As I asked for THE Bill THE girl Walked away and vanished into the kitchen, without exucing herself, to after That lay à table very slowly. What happend to THE payment priority and guest satisfaction?

while i was waiting for my drink i Also heared à telephone conversation between à guest and THE receptionist. obviously THE guest was having trouble with THE tv in his room, THE receptionist was not making an effort to help him, instead she Told THE guest to Send an email, which THE guest was not Able to, so That was just bad luck for THE guest i suppose.

very bad service!!

• Stayed January 2013
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, January 31, 2013

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The location is depressing and remote, the rooms are very basic, the food is dreadful. Service is ok. I'd recommend looking for another hotel. We also used the conferencing facilities, which were completely devoid of fresh air.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, January 18, 2013

Utrecht
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Basic hotel with basic amenities and rooms. Some quite rude reception staff. The hotel is on the outskirts of the city and apart from an IKEA and a Macdonalds there is nothing in walking distance. Access by bike is not great, overgrown shrubbery and unmaintained path to negotiate before the electrified fence and door (switched on at 20:30). For the money alternatives should be explored before committing to this as a last resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Utrecht, responded to this review, October 11, 2012

Maik Willems

Been to Bastion Hotel Utrecht? Share your experiences!