“Very gouda” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dom

You added Hotel Dom to your Saves list
Hotel Dom
Domstraat 4, 3512 JB Utrecht, The Netherlands (Neude Janskerkhof en Domplein)   |
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Utrecht
Nanjing
“Very gouda”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I must say that this niche hotel was quaint but memorable. From the weird lift that reminded me of one from an indoor construction site, through the very Dutch breakfast (which is served an hour later on weekends but nobody tells you that) to the eclectic room layout it was all very European but strangely welcoming. This hotel is comfortable and well positioned.

Room Tip: Make sure you close the door after exiting the lift or the next person ail not be able to call it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

A very pleasant hotel in excellent location. The room very clean and tidy with a good selection of toiletries for free. Comfortable bed and huge TV. Breakfast was typically Dutch with cold meats, cheese, pastries & cereals on offer. I found the lift annoying since you have keep the floor button pressed throughout the assent / decent or the lift stops and it was very slow.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Dom. A lovely building with nicely-decorated common areas, and large, clean, pleasant rooms. The bed was one of the comfiest I've ever slept on in a hotel!

The location was excellent: a few steps away from the Domkerk and Domtoren, and also the Tourist Info Centre - which was very handy. Also, since Utrecht is a small city, it was a quick walk to just about any of the sights that I wanted to visit.

I am a very light sleeper, but didn't have any issues with the bells of the nearby churches keeping me awake. Perhaps I was lucky with the location of my suite, but this wasn't a concern for me (even though I did hear them from the room).

The staff were extremely accommodating, helpful, and pleasant. Thank you to all of them!

The restaurant was undergoing renovations during my visit, so you could order breakfast to your room instead of eating in the dining room. Breakfast was very good; I think the only item to note is that it is not included in the room price; for me, this could have been better clarified in the communications offered by the hotel. But also, I could have simply asked. :)

Overall, a wonderful stay here; would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I stayed in Suite 9: bright, light, relatively quiet room at the end of the hallway.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Turin, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very nice hotel.
Good position, just behind the corner of Dom square.
The hotel is made of just a few suites, some facing the back garden (nice and quiet), some facing the Street in front of the hotel.
Room furniture and design are a must in this hotel, very good cleanliness, very friendly staff.
Breakfast and food quality very good.
If I have to find a minus, the docking station in the room works only with Iphone 4..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Had dinner here a couple of months ago. We did this during in "Restaurant week", which means you can have dinner for a smaller prioce than usual. Hotel Dom participated in this. I wopuld normally not go to Hotel Dom for dinner as the prices are a little too high to my liking. But this was a great opportunity to do so.
We got an amuse before the menu started, which was good. The food was great and very tasty. Good service as well! We will ga back next Restaurant Week!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I do really like this hotel and have stayed quite a few times now, but the beautiful bells of Utrecht can definitely challenge your rest. Until quite late at night and again around 5.30/6am the bells at local churches start to chime ( and they are close, almost next door). It is part of life here in the centre of town, apparently.

The staff are very friendly, possibly more friendly than they are competent. One night I asked to have a cocktail and the barmaid kept persuading me she knew how to make what I asked for (a vodka martini), even though she asked me 3 time what was in it, of course nothing was correctly made and had to be sent back (and even more worrying, she thought it was a good idea to train her colleague).

They do however, have a great attitude at this hotel and you can't help but want to be their friend. That is the nice thing about the hotel - most of the staff have a good attitude and you see the same regular faces who do what they can to help you.

The rooms are great! Lovely spaces with all the tricks you need - comfortable beds, yoga mats!, baths with jacuzzi and big showers. I particularly loved all the windows (some which open) and the great electric curtains and shades taking you from very light to very dark.

The one area which I don't understand is the restaurant. They have a slightly pretentious menu style which seems to hide their lack of selection and the staff treat it as though you are in a Michelin starred restaurant - and you definitely are not.

An amuse bouche, lots of little touches, and the plates all looked very lovely, but when it came down to it (and I had 5 courses) the best bit was the dessert! The lamb was undercooked, and when I sent it back, the same piece of meat came back to me amazingly only slightly less rare but still with a lot of blood dripping out of it. The "traditional asparagus dish" was fine, but I think anyone in the Netherlands could have cooked it and the other dishes turned out fairly bland. The cheese course was good, again introduced to me slightly pretentiously and I suppose I'm biased as my brother-in-law makes the best cheese in the world and it wasn't on the plate, but it was well sourced and well served.

The hotel does think itself kind of special and for Utrecht, maybe it is, but I'm surprised, because I immediately loved Utrecht and saw it as a vibrant city searching for cool and quality and delivering against both.

Unfortunately for me, this place does have some great elements of quality, but it really does think itself too cool and should probably just take a moment to see why the restaurant is regularly empty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

What I liked: great location in downtown Utrecht, not too much noise from the street, nice interior, both hotel and rooms, staff was friendly enough. Have been here before. Definitely a big disadvantage is the fact that there is no hotel parking. If fact there is not even a not-hotel parking close by. Just the street in front where you will not find a place. Basically the best option (recommended by the hotel) is a parking on 10 minutes walking distance where you will have to carry your luggage from. The explanation was that the hotel did not get a license for a hotel parking which is really not my concern. Normally such a thing would have to be reflected in the hotel price which was a bit high anyway. All in all still one of the better hotels in Utrecht that I have been to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple