“Good food and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dom

You added Hotel Dom to your Saves list
Hotel Dom
Domstraat 4, 3512 JB Utrecht, The Netherlands (Neude Janskerkhof en Domplein)   |
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Utrecht
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Good food and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Had dinner here a couple of months ago. We did this during in "Restaurant week", which means you can have dinner for a smaller prioce than usual. Hotel Dom participated in this. I wopuld normally not go to Hotel Dom for dinner as the prices are a little too high to my liking. But this was a great opportunity to do so.
We got an amuse before the menu started, which was good. The food was great and very tasty. Good service as well! We will ga back next Restaurant Week!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I do really like this hotel and have stayed quite a few times now, but the beautiful bells of Utrecht can definitely challenge your rest. Until quite late at night and again around 5.30/6am the bells at local churches start to chime ( and they are close, almost next door). It is part of life here in the centre of town, apparently.

The staff are very friendly, possibly more friendly than they are competent. One night I asked to have a cocktail and the barmaid kept persuading me she knew how to make what I asked for (a vodka martini), even though she asked me 3 time what was in it, of course nothing was correctly made and had to be sent back (and even more worrying, she thought it was a good idea to train her colleague).

They do however, have a great attitude at this hotel and you can't help but want to be their friend. That is the nice thing about the hotel - most of the staff have a good attitude and you see the same regular faces who do what they can to help you.

The rooms are great! Lovely spaces with all the tricks you need - comfortable beds, yoga mats!, baths with jacuzzi and big showers. I particularly loved all the windows (some which open) and the great electric curtains and shades taking you from very light to very dark.

The one area which I don't understand is the restaurant. They have a slightly pretentious menu style which seems to hide their lack of selection and the staff treat it as though you are in a Michelin starred restaurant - and you definitely are not.

An amuse bouche, lots of little touches, and the plates all looked very lovely, but when it came down to it (and I had 5 courses) the best bit was the dessert! The lamb was undercooked, and when I sent it back, the same piece of meat came back to me amazingly only slightly less rare but still with a lot of blood dripping out of it. The "traditional asparagus dish" was fine, but I think anyone in the Netherlands could have cooked it and the other dishes turned out fairly bland. The cheese course was good, again introduced to me slightly pretentiously and I suppose I'm biased as my brother-in-law makes the best cheese in the world and it wasn't on the plate, but it was well sourced and well served.

The hotel does think itself kind of special and for Utrecht, maybe it is, but I'm surprised, because I immediately loved Utrecht and saw it as a vibrant city searching for cool and quality and delivering against both.

Unfortunately for me, this place does have some great elements of quality, but it really does think itself too cool and should probably just take a moment to see why the restaurant is regularly empty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

What I liked: great location in downtown Utrecht, not too much noise from the street, nice interior, both hotel and rooms, staff was friendly enough. Have been here before. Definitely a big disadvantage is the fact that there is no hotel parking. If fact there is not even a not-hotel parking close by. Just the street in front where you will not find a place. Basically the best option (recommended by the hotel) is a parking on 10 minutes walking distance where you will have to carry your luggage from. The explanation was that the hotel did not get a license for a hotel parking which is really not my concern. Normally such a thing would have to be reflected in the hotel price which was a bit high anyway. All in all still one of the better hotels in Utrecht that I have been to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Another European city break beckoned, somewhere easy to get to for both of us (living in different countries). We were pondering Amsterdam,but taken aback at the hotel costs, when a Dutch friend recommended Utrecht as being small, quirky and much better value. She was right. Canals by night, (Trajecten Lumen ), an abundance of menswear and arty shops. Good cafe's and restaurants too.

The Hotel Dom was the perfect location for us right in the centre of Utrecht, in the shadow of the Dom Cathedral (yes, it has church bells, but it didnt bother us) and just gorgeous decor. Our room (suite 2) on the 1st floor was a beautiful large room with very high ceilings, king size squishy comfortable bed, elegant drapes framing the long tall windows, very stylish furniture etc etc. The design is indeed quirky (the door opens into the bathroom, but contrary to other reviews there is a door separating it from the bedroom - its just hidden into the wall. Well kitted out with Nespresso machine, ipod dock, Digital TV/Radio with most European channels too.

We had cocktails on one eveniing, which were good - if expensive, and I'd have to say the same re the breakfasts - we passed. I noted the last review with dread, and indeed on the Saturday night there was a reception in the cocktail bar. But the hotel seemed to be very well soundproofed. We'd go back!

Room Tip: the lift is very very slow, and the stairs quite steep - the suites on the first floor are lovely!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

As I write this review it his 1.37am and I am on the third floor and it feels like I am above a nightclub. I am absolutely disgusted at how bad this place is in terms of how they project themselves as a hotel. PLEASE spend your money on a hotel that is not actually a nightclub. I am do angry and infuriated that an establishment can be so dodgy and lie. I CAN'T SLEEP!

One thingies have to say is that the food in the restarant is AMAZING!

• Stayed March 2013
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had never enjoyed having the bath in my bedroom nor waking up to my partner brushing teeth next to my pillow but at Dom Hotel this is what you can expect.

No separate bathroom but all elements spread across the suite. Nice with your partner but probably not what you would like when sharing the room with someone you are not that intimate with.

The bed is superior Auping quality and would have given us a great night's sleep if it weren't for the bells of the cathedral that sound all night. Full melody at every hour, small every 15 minutes and half the song at every half past.

That woke us up several times as the habit would normally indicate church bells stop sounding after 22h except should the Vikings return unexpectedly overnight. Not so in Utrecht where it seems custom for the bells to continue overnight.

I am sure it is something one gets used to pretty easily but it was rather annoying for us, despite the good insulation of the room.

But this is a great find all in all. At the very reasonable 90 Euro we paid this could even be considered as excellent value.

Room Tip: Maybe check if you have a separate bathroom if you prefer taking baths in discretion.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Really everything is marvelous in this hotel. Gorgeous, incredible stylish rooms, warm atmosphere with beautiful details. Everything is high quality; beds, bathroom, amenities, nespresso etc Very friendly staff.
I can not wait to come back!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Hotel Dom? Share your experiences!