“Most enjoyable weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Utrecht
ESSEX
“Most enjoyable weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My daughter and myself stayed here at the end of July. We arrived at 9pm and were virtually left to our own devices. Keys were left on the desk and no porters were available. The room was very clean with all amenities, a nice balcony which was most welcome as the evenings were warm. Unfortunately, our room was sited immediately above the front entrance, which was the designated smoking area! A good size bathroom with bath and shower and an extremely comfortable bed. We ate in the restaurant on the first evening and had a very pleasant meal, perhaps a little expensive but after a day travelling most welcome.

The next day as we had already experienced the restaurant and there wasn't a member of staff insight, so we sat down for breakfast. A very good breakfast but when we were in the middle of eating we were interrupted by a very curt waitress, telling us that we were sitting in the wrong area. We were part of the coach party and had to sit in the back room! Next day breakfast was still OK but we had to forgo Sausage and bacon!

On the other two evenings we caught the bus into Utrecht and had lovely meals whilst sitting by the water. Bus fare was 3 euro return (Mon-Sat) but for some reason 8 euro return on Sunday. When queried we were told it's because the shops are closed on Sundays? Bus stop was a short walk from the hotel and they ran every half an hour.

Overall a most enjoyable trip and the organisation that Shearings coach company put into it was amazing.

Room Tip: Don't have a room situated by the front entrance
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear LINDAJP000,

First of all thank you very much for your review.

Great to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and your had a great time in Utrecht.

Sorry about the curt waitress! I will speak to the manager in charge.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us!

Bart Blikman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Littleborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had a great 3 night stay in this hotel at the end of July 2012. The rooms was clean, of a good size and well appointed, including a kettle and tea and coffee which is not always true of mainland Europe. The bathroom had a bath as well as separate shower cubicle and the towels were massive. Bed also very comfortable, tho the duvet was too hot. As a vegetarian I found the restaurant menu disappointing. I was on my own so didn't feel like getting a taxi to town so would have liked a hot meal after spending one enjoyable day in Amsterdam and another at Floriade, the World Horticultural Expo. Carnivores are offered a 3 course set menu for about 22 Euros but the vegetarian main course choice is an omelette or a vegetable pie - a single course remember! - for one Euro less - not good value and a boring, boring option. Mind you, I am NEVER offered good vegetarian food in hotels and rarely restaurants so I should not have been surprised.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sue

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us and complimenting us on your stay.
Very nice to read that you enjoyed your room and its facilities.

Regarding the menu, I am sorry that I did not meet up to your expectations. I informed my head chef. We will make sure that the restaurant staff will offer alternatives vegetarian dishes next to the menu.

Again, thank you very much for the review!

Hope to see you soon back at the Carlton President.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed as part of a coach group, on arrival there wasn't much of a meet or greet, just the room keys left on a table. Breakfast was good the first day but the quality wasn't as highly maintained as the first day. Also the breakfast staff are at times are quite curt in regards to where you sit. Our room was large, clean and had good facilities and room keeping was also quite good. The only issues are location and the resturant. Bizarrely, we were told it was unlikely we could eat in the resturant unless we booked but being out on trips means you cannot always say when you will be back. But every evening the resturant was empty, i would think it was good business sense to encourage people to spend money there. Considered with the location most people
Would eat there. But its an easy trip into town on the bus, do not get a taxi! Or walk 10mins down the road towards the petrol station for an amazing chinese.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Jen_zebra,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you took to leave a review on this site.

I have discussed your remarks concerning the breakfast and dinner reservations with my restaurant manager. He assured me that all necessary steps will be taken to improve and avoid this in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again at the Carlton President.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel, the staff is very helpful and friendly, bed very comfortable, bathroom with a choice of shower room and bath which to me is great, great location, breakfast full of choices, defenetly recommend this hotel and most defenetly coming back!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trish R,

Please let me thank you for this very nice review.

Good to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Carlton President.

Hope to meet you next time in person.

Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

As I said in the title, this place isn't bad. I don't know whether there are any other options in Utrecht, but I think that you can be more than satisfied here. Staff is really nice and helpful, beds are cozy, I had a room with both shower and bathtub in my bathroom. Minibar is as expensive as anywhere else. I had only two little problems there and they are the reason why I give this rating. Ad a the place is quite noisy for me, I had some troubles to fall asleep (believe me I was pretty tired) and ad b breakfasts here are pretty pricey. I agree that those are small troubles, but I just didn't have the feeling for giving five.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Chrysophylax_jp,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this review. Thanks for the nice compliments.

Next time when you visit the Carlton President please let me know, so we can check on a quieter room for you.

Thanks again for the review!

cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as part of coach trip to Amsterdam , lovely hotel great room , soft bed + good size bathroom . Tea+ coffee making facilitys + mini bar + safe in room . We arrived late at hotel + the resturant was closed ,but the bar tender ordered us a pizza to be delivered . Very friendly staff , Good choice at breakfast can't fault it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear sheiladeeCheshire,

Thank you very much for this very nice review. Great to read that you had a wonderful stay.
Hope to see you soon back at your Carlton President.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here because it is close to the company I was visiting. It's not convenient to many other locations, including restaurants. The hotel restaurant is fine but not extraordinary. The fitness room has a limited amount of equipment and it is too warm. The rooms are quite nice and has a lot of counter space in the bathroom (why don't all hotels have a lot of counter space?!). The reason I give this hotel a high rating is because the staff are incredibly friendly and really make you feel at home.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
, Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear InMyOpinion411,

Thank you very much for this very nice review.

I am very sorry to read that your room was not air-conditioned enough.

If possible please drop me an e-mail with your room number so I can ask my technical support to have a look at the air-conditioning system.

Thanks a lot about the remarks of my staff. Really great that you experienced our home away from home feeling.

Hope to see you soon back at your Carlton President.

Bart Blikman

Been to Carlton President? Share your experiences!