“Excellent food made me overlook the bad service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
California
“Excellent food made me overlook the bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Nice place in the middle of the charming town of Amersfoort. I ordered a salad, glass of wine, and a pasta dish. The salad came and then I sat there waiting for the wine and pasta. I was reluctant to ask about the wine because I did not want to be the "ugly American". After 20 minutes I asked and 10 minutes later the wine arrived. After that, again nothing came. Once again I did not want to make a deal of it so I just waited. After another 30 minutes (yes...60 minutes after the salad and 30 after the wine) I asked and they immediately brought the pasta. Needless to say, I did not stay for dessert.

But the food was so good, I still would probably go back!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Fresh and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

My beef filet was perfectly prepared and the accompanying roasted vegetables were crisp, hot and subtly seasoned. The mozzarella di buffala was fresh. The waitstaff were very attentive.

Visited June 2014
Bunschoten, The Netherlands
“Real Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Best Italian restaurant I ever ate. Not your average Italian pizzaplace but real quality. And a very nice location too!

Amersfoort
“A very good place for italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just back from a dinner with family and friends and again a good evening at San Giorgio.
The owner, Luciano, is always kind and the staff as well, very discret but at the same time ready if you need something.
The nice thing of this restaurant is the open kitchen, where you can see the preparation of the dishes, the ingredients they use and the smell and flavour of the Italian kitchen, as during my childness in my grandmother kitchen in Italy.
Going to the food: pizza contadina (with grilled vegetables), seabass with cherry tomato and olives, grilled steak with light tomato sauce; these were what we had and all of them were ok, tasty, simple and well cooked.
Sufficent wine list, maybe a bit expensive, but here you know the quality is a priority (the owner also shoed me the fishes in the fridge just bought for this evening and believe it was absolutely ok).

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“Nice place - lacking a little”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Arrived on a cold and rainy tuesday.

Lots of customers there. Not full, but busy. A good sign.
Interesting interior with open kitchen arrangement.

Greeted by the manager. Nice touch. Given a small table sort of in the back.
Ok, but a bit dark there.

Orderered tomato soup and tortellini.
Long time to get the soup. Taste of the soup not very interesting.

Long wait for the tortellini. But when it arrived it was very good.

While waiting for my food (other tables got served much faster than me) I watched the open kitchen. Fascinating!

• Visited November 2012