“Looks Beautiful and Tastes Even Better” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dutch, French
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
“Looks Beautiful and Tastes Even Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Down the years I have eaten in a fair sprinkling of Michelin starred restaurants. Of those I would say that the only one I would rate higher is the three star Librije in Zwolle and then only by a small margin. It surely cannot be long before this place gets its second star.

We had their eight course tasting menu which was quite simply delicious. Each small course and a fair sprinkling of amuses came beautifully presented. The flavours were both subtle and sophisticated. Based on recommendations here we also opted for their wine arrangement. Something I would have no hesitation in advising others to do.

Service was friendly and efficient. For such a high class restaurant it was remarkable informal and not at all stuffy or pretentious.

I can't recommend this place highly enough. This was my first visit here, it certainly won't be my last.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank brianc_li

NL
“Excellent food, service- in a unique setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I recently joined my friends for a WONDERFUL meal at De Saffraan. First off, the setting was so unique; since when have you eating in a houseboat?!? The foot was also unique and deliciously prepared. I cannot have cow's milk and notified the restaurant of this fact ahead of time. I didn't have any allergy problems and the pastry chef prepared the best dessert for me that I've ever had in my life (no joke!). Lastly, the service was impeccable. Very attentive without being sycophantic. And just a tip: definitely talk with the sommelier. She is very knowledgable and can pick out some great wine selections to pair with your dishes. Excellent, unique choices.

• Visited September 2013
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
“excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

we used the opportunity to sample eight dishes. small sizes but all very well prepared, surprising and very tasty. Really amazing food, often by unusual combination.
we got very good service, including very helpful advice on wine.
This restaurant is not cheap, except when there are special offers (which we used), but if you like very good food in a pleasant and beautiful setting, this may be the best place to go in Amersfoort

• Visited March 2013
Maarssen, The Netherlands
“Exceeded All Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant. We were somewhat sceptical when we saw that it was a "boat", but from the moment we arrived on board we knew that we were in for something good. We had the 7 course meal, which was absolutely superb. Each course was unique and delicious. The dessert was a mini-3 course treat with mouth-watering flavors. The service was impeccable and perfectly timed. The restaurant's ambiance was charming and comfortable. Would we eat there again? Most definitly.

• Visited July 2013
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
“Excellent experience of food and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I missed the special offer in 2012, finally this year got an special offer to give it a try. We had a tasting menu, which contain 7 dishes. De Saffraan offers flexible wine paring, you can choose either three or more wine to combine with the dishes.
All and all it’s a very nice experience, it’s not just about the food itself but also
how they pay attention too all small details like put some toiletries in the lady’s room.
They even changed the wine they have chosen for me first and before the dish serve,
they just change it and the reason is the 2nd one matches the dish better than the first one I got. The dessert wine from Austria matches cheese plate perfectly. There must be a reason why De Saffraan can be a one star restaurant, not just the food, the wine, but also about their ambition and the passion of food
Pricy or not, it’s subjective, can only compared with other star restaurant if you have been to many. Nevertheless it is a memorable experience, would like to visit them again.

• Visited May 2013