“Different hotel to the usual” 4 of 5 stars

Sandton Hotel Pillows Zwolle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stationsweg 9, 8011 CZ Zwolle, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Zwolle
London, United Kingdom
“Different hotel to the usual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I spent just one night at Sandton Hotel Pillows in Zwolle and have to say I was pleasantly surprised! The entrance and restaurant are very nicely decorated and the staff very helpful when I checked in.
My room had huge brown velvet curtains and head board; all very funky! I'll stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MirandaBouwmeester, General Manager at Sandton Hotel Pillows Zwolle, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, we hope to welcome you again as our guest in Zwolle!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Bodegraven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Pillows Hotel is absolutely superb in each and every aspect.
Just 1 remark ............ the climate control.
The weather was nice (better than expected) when we arrived.
We had been allocated room 107 and the temperature in the room was just too high, not pleasant. No possibility to open the window and no controlpanel in the room to set the AC. It appears that there is AC in the hotel but it is centrally managed by an outside company.
We decided not to sleep in this room and went back to reception. Apparently our remarks were not new to the staff and they were most understanding and helpful. We were moved to room 112 (at the front of the hotel) that did have an individual AC indeed and it was set rather low.
We were happy with the solution and went out for the evening. Upon our return we found the temperature in the room still on the high side. Obviously the AC did work, but just a bit.
We decided to give it a go but our sleeping was not comfortable, unfortunately.
Bottomline: all is fine in this hotel but we will not come back until this is solved.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review on this site. It is true that hotel Pillows has centralized climat control and we have had some problems with the system lately. Our supplier is working really hard to solve the issues. At the moment (July 13th) we have already solved 95% of the issues and the climat seems to be more under control than the last weeks. If you are planning to visit Zwolle again, do not hestite to contact me via pillowszwolle@sandton.eu. I hope can help you out with a good offer for a new stay. Kind regards,
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Sandton Pillows Zwolle is a good choice, easily accessible by train and car (there is parking for a fee). It is a short and very pleasant walk into the old town. We had two rooms ( I'll explain below....) in the original part of the hotel. Rooms were good size, well appointed and inviting except that out first room (111) was too warm....the windows don't open and the air con was simply not up to it. To her credit the reception manager looked into it and when the issue couldn't be resolved, offered us another room without any fuss. She was also helpful in providing advice on directions and the layout of the old town. While we did not use them, the bar area looked welcoming and there is a side terrace for the warmer months. Breakfast was fine, but agree with others that at euro 20, it is more than usually overpriced; and for a a hotel of this price guests shouldn't have to chase hot water for tea. There are plenty of dining choices in town, so unless you really feel the need to breakfast on site, give it a miss. Zwolle is a lovely buzzing town and the Sandton is a good place to start.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has windows that open; if you can stretch to it suite 211 is good on all counts.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MirandaBouwmeester, General Manager at Sandton Hotel Pillows Zwolle, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Beeton, Thank you for your feedback and kind words regarding our service from reception and our front office manager. Your comments about service for coffee or tea in our breakfast are discussed with the team. Each guestcomment helps us to improve service. Hope to welcome you back in Zwolle!
Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Location great, service great, staff excellent.
It is a pla e where you really feel well, it is personal, has style and the location is great too.
Rooms and public areas are tastefully decorated / designed. Rooms are quite spacious which in Holland in suchs small hotels is not always common.
Only little minor point is that you can not control the room temeparture yourself. It was quite warm in the room and the wondows could not be opened neither.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Crococat,
Thank you very much for your review and lovely feedback about our hotel. We hope to have you as our guest again in the future!
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Let me say that this hotel is very convenient to the railway station. The staff are very accommodating and friendly. But the room I was given was beginning to show it's age. There were lots of stains in the carpeting. Stains that are very easily removed by a spot remover solution or a gentle steam cleaner. I also noticed that the paint on the walls near the area where the wall meets the ceiling was peeling away in a few areas. Also much to my disappointment the housekeeper threw away some of my toiletries including my special bar of soap, and my turkish cotton facecloth came up missing on my next to last day in the hotel. I did not say anything to the front desk though. I figured the damage was done. I did not partake of the breakfast in the mornings as it was way too expensive. I would recommend this hotel only for a stay of a day or two but no longer.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Jonjon86,
Thank you very much for your review on this website. I am sorry to read that there were some remarks about the room and our housekeeping staff. It would have been helpful if you had mentioned it during your stay so we would be able to do something about it. For now I just want te let you know that your remarks are discussed with the team to improve service. If you ever have plans to visit Zwolle again, do not hesitate to contract me. Kind regards,
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my family to celebrate my 50th birthday. What I liked most of this hotel was the great staff, not only did they make you feel welcome but the waiters in the restaurant remembered what I like to drink and knew my name. They automatically reserved us a table without having to ask, for breakfast and dinner. The chef prepared a special 5 course meal and made sure we enjoyed it! She even took the time to come and say hello.

The rooms and bathroom were large, clean and welcoming.

On top of that the hotel is a 5 minute walk from the train station and a 10 minute walk to the center of Zwolle.

Overall we all really enjoyed our stay in this hotel and would recommend it to others. I specially want to thank Roman and Evelyne who went over and beyond of what I would expect them to do.

Room Tip: We stayed in the suites and royal deluxe rooms which where both great value for money. Please not th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Marion G. Thank you very much for you kind and great review on this website. I gave your compliments to our Chef, Roman and Evelyne. Thank you for that! If you ever have plans to visit Zwolle again, more than welcome back! Kind regards,
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

A very nice hotel with great location. I stayed here one week, being in a business trip in Zwolle. The room was quite big and the bathroom the same.
What I didn't liked at all was the lights in my room which were so dim.
Excelent breakfast but quite expensive !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Shtrumf,
Thank you for your review and feedback about the lights in your room. It helps us to improve quality and service overall. Kind regards,

Been to Sandton Hotel Pillows Zwolle? Share your experiences!