“Very good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Zaandam
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here for only 2 nights but was pleasantly surprised with it! The rooms are in very good condition and very modern. The hotel is just a 2 minute walk from the bus stop and a 5 min bus journey from Schipol. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and will be staying here again in the future!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam / Zaandam, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Turkish first
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Spent here 4 nights in September, hotel is not bad all in all, but I'm sure there could be better matches to find on Amsterdam surroundings. It should be 4* hotel, but I would rather add only 3*.

Friendly staff, but quite chaotic, with wrong informations and data they are handling.

Dinner meals were also not bad and breakfast was excellent.

Room was nothing special, they said it was better quality (superior or deluxe), but I've seen much, much better ones... despite that it was rather clean and good maintained.

Location... well, few steps from local crematorium and not far from bus stop. Bus lines 391 and 392 are driving to the Amsterdam city centre, it takes from 30 to 40 mins getting there. Taxi is some 40€.

Enjoyed walking to Zaandam city centre next to Zaan river banks... Lots of small cafes and shops.

• Stayed September 2013
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam / Zaandam, responded to this review, September 17, 2013

coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had to stop here as our apartment we had booked wasn't ready , we were quite surprised lovely clean hotel very freindly and accommodating staff , went out of their way to please you. As we were working at the Rai exbn centre , the location was excellent , admittedly it is a tram ride into the tourist attractions but we hire a bike lovely route through vondel park . Breakfast and evening meal were very good, rooms standard but adequate for the price. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam / Zaandam, responded to this review, September 10, 2013

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We went during an event weekend and there were no hotels available in the city. The hotel was cheap so we saved money but we also spent a lot overall in buses, taxis and time to get to where we wanted to go. Rooms are fine if you're just sleeping and showering.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam / Zaandam, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

I hope to meet you again in one of our hotels.

Mlada Boleslav, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I chose this hotel with 5 of my friends because of the price. It's quite far from Amsterdam, but also far more cheaper than hotels in Amsterdam. The rooms were quite big, well-equipped (TV, electric kettle, mugs and coffee,...) and perfectly clean. The receptionists spoke English and were at the place all night, so it was not a problem to came late at night.
Although the hotel is quite far from Amsterdam, there are two bus stops nearby and buses to Amsterdam run every 15 minutes all day. At night there is a special line running every hour. If you want to save some money, I recommend you to get off the bus at the stop "Klaprozenweg" and take a ferry to Amsterdam for free which runs also every 15 minutes. If you were interested in the city of Zaandam, the centre is a 15 minute walk.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam / Zaandam, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear guest,

I hope to meet you again in one of our hotels.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Typically when I visit hotels I come with a positive attitude. Especially being young-ish (mid 20's), I don't necessarily care if certain aspects of the hotel don't meet expectations. However, there comes a certain point where push comes to shove, and others need to know about what to expect when coming to this hotel.

First off, the staff was okay. They were not rude, nor were they nice. Upon entrance the front desk was all business. That is fine considering they have a job to do and probably do not wish to spend their time chatting away with tourists. Not a big deal.

The size of the rooms were modest. Enough space to put your bags and sleep.

The showers were decent. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to write home about either.

The location of this hotel can be a plus or minus depending on the reasons of why you are visiting Amsterdam. If you are here to sightsee and experience the nightlife, I suggest that you skip over this hotel and get one a lot closer to central station. There is a bus stop that can take you to central station right outside the hotel for 4 euro. However, the bus line stops running at midnight so you will have to take a taxi (~30 Euro. More if the taxi driver is trying to take advantage of you) to get back to the hotel every night. If you are looking only to sightsee during the day, then this location can be considered since it'll only cost you 8 euro round trip with the bus line. As I was there for the nightlife, this extra cost adds up quickly.

Last but not least and the cause of which made me write this review, the bed bugs. Upon staying the first night, the next morning my friend and I found that we had bite marks on our bodies. We shrugged and ignored the fact went on with our lives. After the second night, the bite marks increased 10 fold and we realized that the cause was bed bugs.

Overall, an okay hotel if you plan to only sightsee during the day and search the room for bedbugs before sleeping. Otherwise, I would keep searching for other hotels with better quality and a better location

Room Tip: Check for Bed Bugs