“Fantastic place not far from the hustle & bustle of Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Provincialeweg 102, 1506 MD Zaandam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Zaandam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place not far from the hustle & bustle of Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

The journey from Schipol airport Zaandam took approximately half an hour. The hotel was very conveniently located just outside the train station. We were aware of the close proximity to the station having stayed in the old hotel in 1996 and 2006 and were keen to stay in the new build because of its unusual architecture and for the fact that for us Zaandam is the only place to stay when visiting Amsterdam.

The new hotel is amazing, story book like from the outside. We had booked a junior suite because we were celebrating my 40th birthday, but the hotel is so clean & fresh that I am sure a standard room would be fine.

I'll get the 2 negative points out of the way first. All rooms are themed and ours was themed on a founder of a Zaan region factory, we therefore had an extremeley large picture of a man above our bed (a little freaky). Secondly the tiled flooring in the bedroom created a cold ambience. These 2 factors took nothing away from the two nights we spent here, the suite was very modern, bright, and the bed the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The housekeeper cleaned twice a day and turned down our bed leaving a chocolate in the evening. The bathroom had a seperate shower, jacuzzi bath and sauna.

We used the Wellness area with pool, steamroom and sauna once and had the whole place to ourselves.

We were lucky with the weather having a very hot and sunny few days, a short walk out of the back of the hotel, past the supermarket, through the mall and up the stairs (5minutes max) and we were greeted by a small town square filled with restaurants which were very busy for a Wednesday lunchtime. Everyone around us in our chosen restaurant spoke dutch, the menu was in dutch and we chose something to eat in a hopeful fashion. But hey, we were in Holland and wanted to experience it away from 'touristy' Amsterdam for at least a day. I have to say I absolutely loved it.

The journey from Zaandam to Amsterdam took about 12 minutes and trains ran regularly, but the trains could not be heard from inside the hotel.

All in all a great way to celebrate an occasion or to visit just because....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

This was the third of 3 hotels on a recent trip to Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands. We stayed 3 nights, checked out July 5.

We booked the Inntel Hotel Amsterdam Zaandam a few weeks before the trip so available affordable options in the city were limited. On paper, this hotel has all of the amenities one would desire but there are a few things you should know.

The Good: WiFi worked but it was slow. The room and bathroom were clean and a good size. There was a safe. The hotel is close to several dining and shopping options open during the day including a supermarket and a French style cafe and coffee shop which were quite good. There's also an open market within walking distance of the hotel with lots of fresh produce and goods. The hotel is a stone's throw from the train station...very easy access. The front desk staff was pleasant and very helpful with room and area information.

The Just OK: The floor looked like it needed to be swept. The area is under construction. The room felt cheap and almost like a dorm room. Our lights didn't work when we arrived but they fixed it within minutes by adjusting the breaker.

IMPORTANT: I don't know how Inntel gets away with calling this an Amsterdam hotel. It is not. It's in Zaandam which requires train tickets to get to/from Central station in Amsterdam. If you'll be in Amsterdam for a few days and decide to buy the unlimited metro pass (GVB I think)... this pass will NOT get you to Zaandam. You will have to buy train tickets daily to get to Central station and then you'll be able to access the main metro station and trams. It's about a 10-15 min ride from Zaandam to Central Station and the trains are slower on weekends and stop around 1230A. This was all good once we figured out the train v metro system but was a bit confusing at first. And it really was farther out than I'd imagined.

If I visit Amsterdam again, I'd probably select a hotel on the tram line in either the museum or arts district. The city is pretty small and those areas were very nice and away from the grit and grime you'll find in the more touristy areas of Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in May 2011 in a Factory Design Room.

The hotel was easy to find and parking was in an adjacent secure underground parking garage. The hotel provides a discounted parking cost - don't pay for your parking in the garage, but rather give your ticket to the front desk when checking out and they will give you tickets to put in the machine.

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, and speak good English as well as Dutch.

The location is convenient - Zaandam train station is just across the road (take the escalator up to a walkway across to the station) and you can get a day return ticket for about €5 euro. Trains go every 10-15 minutes and the journey in is under 15 minutes.

The room was comfortable and attractive but a little on the expensive side, but our trip did coincide with some massive trade show which booked out most of the hotel rooms in Amsterdam so the price may have been somewhat inflated. My wife found the bed a little too soft and ended up with a sore back. The rain shower was excellent although hard to keep at a constant temperature.

There was construction going on adjacent to the hotel - right outside our room - but it didn't bother us with the windows closed and the AC on.

The breakfast buffet was awesome and worth the money. Great variety of cold and hot choices. We dined in the restaurant on our first evening and the food was tasty and well presented (but not cheap).

My only criticism is the quality of the free wifi - we couldn't get a signal at all in one half our our room, we had to stand near the door to get anything. They could use a few more repeaters to provide good signal strength throughout the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
fordtraveler56
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

This a good value for the Amsterdam area. When all the construction in the area is finished it will be much nicer. We didn't eat in the restaurant because breakfast was to expensive for us. Very convenient for hopping on the train into the city center which only 10 minutes away. We could see the hotel but had a little problem getting to it by car and ended up going into the underground parking lot next to the property which as it turned out was where we were to park anyway. Shopping, grocery and restaurants are next to the hotel. Room was big by European standards, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Short review: this is a year old, first class hotel that pays attention to the details. Located immediately adjacent to the Zaandam train station, 12 minutes and about 3 euro from Amsterdam central station, it is a wonderful escape after a long day of walking / site seeing. I'd recommend it to anyone. Only nits: tv channel selections limited, and wireless internet, while free, was very slow.

Long review: During a two week stretch in the rural part of the Netherlands on business, I planned a last minute trip-within-a-trip to see Amsterdam on a Saturday / Sunday. I booked at the last minute, so hotel options with a pool / sauna facility under 200 Eur. were very limited -- I could find none in Amsterdam city itself. Based on the strength of Trip Advisor reviews, and with the understanding that this hotel would be easy to reach from the train, I booked a junior suite at $189 Eur. and paid an extra 15 Eur. to extend my checkout to 3 PM on Sunday.

After a full, exhausting day walking around Amsterdam, I went to the central station and purchased a one way ticket to Zaandam for about 3 Euro. As promised, the ride was 12 minutes, with only one stop between the central station and Zaandam. Many of the hotels in Amsterdam itself I'd considered would have been a longer walk or cab ride than this train ride was. On arrival at the Zaandam station, I took the exit towards Zaandam centrum, and exited the station to find the hotel directly in front of me. Down one escalator and I was at check-in.

Checkin process was friendly and fast. The lobby of the hotel is small and modern, with a cafe and restaurant (didn't try it so I can't comment). Easy access from lobby to elevator to guest room. The junior suite (see pictures) was modern and comfortable, with a great bed, comfy side chair, useful desk, cabinet, minibar fridge (no room for your own food, however), and good airconditioning. TV was a good size flat panel, but channel selections were limited (no CNN or MTV; only dedicated English channels I could find were BBC news and Bloomberg, I think); for a long stay it'd have been a greater nuisance. The highlight of the room for me was the bath. It had a deep jacuzzi soaking tub (hotel provided bath salts, a loofah, and a complimentary rubber ducky!), rain shower with good pressure, AND an in-bath personal sauna. I was in heaven soaking / baking in these after a long day.

The free wifi in the room was in fact free, but speeds were slow and choppy. I rely on wifi to use Apple Facetime to talk to home, and the internet at the hotel resulted in frequent cut-outs and frustration. If I'd needed the web here for business purposes like VPN, I think it'd have been troublesome. This was the only blemish on an otherwise trouble free stay.

I also made use of the pool / sauna / steam facilities on the second floor. The pool is small but clean and a good cool temperature. There were several kids in the pool which I'm fine with; for adults who don't like kids it might have been a nuisance. The kids were not in the separate spa area where the sauna and steam were, so that was more relaxing. It may come as a surprise to other Americans that the spa area is unisex and full nude (for those who care to go full nude). I kept my swimming trunks on in the sauna, drawing an odd look from one of the naked ladies in there with me, but whatever, to each their own. The gym facility (which I didn't use) looked well equipped. There was no hot tub / jacuzzi, but with the in-room one I was ok with this.

As noted by others, this is an active construction zone with the surrounding buildings still being built. None of the nearby shops / cafes were open on Sunday, but if you leave the hotel and walk directly away from the station, you rapidly find yourself in an older pedestrian shopping area that isn't impacted. After that you hit the older part of town, with a number of outside cafe choices that are lovely options for lunch.

So, the hotel suited my needs perfectly, I had a great sleep, and then it was right back to the train back to my work site. If I come back to Amsterdam on a longer visit, I'd re-book this hotel in a second.

Room Tip: The junior suites are worth the supplemental rate
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

This hotel will be a great alternative for visiting Amsterdam in a year. For now, it's just like staying in the middle of construction site, too weird for my taste. The hotel itself was a great value. Something like this in Amsterdam could cost you at least twice as much.
My room was perfect, larger than city hotel rooms, the bathroom was also really nice.
The staffs were all very helpful.
I didn't mind the short train trip to and from Amsterdam central.
The lobby and the restaurant were too small.
If you don't mind seeing the debris and machine working all around you then you'll be happy here or you can wait a year.

• Stayed May 2011
Boston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

The hotel outside is lovely to look of, but sadly they have building works alround. Once these are complete, it will great. The room was clean and big and decorated well. Thebathroom was also well appointed.

Breakfast was great although disorganised. The mini bar charges are nothing short of highway robbery.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Inntel Hotel Amsterdam Zaandam? Share your experiences!