“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Hoorn
Lyons-la-Foret, France
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The positive reviews must come from people who do not travel very much. This hotel is ok, nothing more.
No aircon in this hotel, our room was hot and uncomfortable. Not very big either and with an old fashioned bedcover, brrrrrr.
Bathroom clean, but a bit dated.
Hotel is centrally located. Wifi did not work.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Maaseik, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

nice hotel for business and good breakfast, tip take a room with airco,friendly staff , great chinese,japanese restaurant, this hotel is great for a business traveller and even for a short breakaway with the family.

Room Tip: nice business hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank yzermans
Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights towards the end of June 2013 during a short break in Holland with my my parents, who are very well travelled individuals aged about 70 years old.

We hadn't booked anywhere beforehand as we didn't know which town or city we would go to prior to our trip. I had a twin/double room on my own which was spacious & clean. My parents had no complaints either.

There were no views from our windows, both rooms looked out onto the adjacent building, but our rooms were level with the start of the adjacent buildings roof so the rooms were not dark or lacking daylight at all. I was room 109, my parents room 108, both first floor with free WiFi access no problems. Breakfast was included in our deal, my room was 60 or 65 Euros a night, my parents' room 80 Euros I think. We walked in off the street late in the day and asked for their best price. Seemed reasonable so we didn't even look elsewhere. Initially we booked for the one night only, but extended it once we decided to stay put in Hoorn.

The bathroom was absolutely fine, very clean. Cleaning gel (hand wash by the sink and body wash /shampoo by the bath - probably the same gel in both!) was provided in 2 hygienic dispensers and towels were typical clean, white rough & great drying towels that one tends to find in hotels. I dropped my hand towel to the floor after the first night as I unfortunately managed to get some make-up on it, but after that used the same towels for the duration of my stay, that was my choice, you can throw all your towels onto the floor everyday if you want fresh towels.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast fine, we were probably last patrons in the dining room each morning, but always plenty of tea / coffee and food. Breakfast is continental style with the addition of boiled eggs.

The dining room for breakfast is a Asian Fusion restaurant during the evening. Unfortunately it never seemed to be very busy and this may have been because it is quite expensive, but also we stayed there on a Wednesday through to Friday only. A chef at a restaurant we tried elsewhere during our trip told us that the food at this place is fabulous and it is his favourite place to eat in Hoorn. Maybe I'll try it next time! It's called Madame Cheung.

The hotel is located on a pedestrian precinct about 400m from the main Hoorn train station. There is a paying car park at the back of the hotel & we never had trouble finding a space there. You can put a ticket on your car the night before to save you getting up early :-)

Can't think of any complaints at all at the price we paid. A fridge or aircon would have been nice,but I simply kept my window open and it was fine. I didn't experience any noise at closing times but then we probably didn't go to bed until about midnight most nights.

If you want to know anything else important to you and not covered by this little review, please don't hesitate to email me! Bon Voyage!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NiciJ
Geneva
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Self appointed 4 star hotel. Location is close to the station and in a shopping area. Convenient but at night you hear people coming out of pubs and restaurants. Parking is public and not free of charge (€1.40 per hour or € 7 per day). Building is one part Chinese restaurant, the other part is Japanese restaurant and in the middle and above is the hotel. Owned by the same owner, a Mrs. Cheung.
Our (standard) room was on the first floor. Reachable by an old elevator.
Ours was a small room, bedsize: 140x190 (bigger wouldn't fit). Thin walls, tiny window, no aircon, bathroom with shower, toilet and wash basin, clean but oldfashioned and not "modern" as stated on various websites.
Wifi did not work in our room and when we asked staff the reply was: "some rooms do not receive the signal"...........and that was it! Ever heard of wifi extenders?
Breakfast was correct and as expected for a 3 star hotel.

Conclusion: € 83 without breakfast is too expensive for this somewhat tired hotel. Breakfast is € 10.

A friend of us slept in hotel De Keizerskroon in Hoorn, it is as tired as le Petit Nord.
In hotel De Keizerskroon we saw two little grey mouse in the dining area.......

Room Tip: I doubt there are any good rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Delft, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you expect: a posh, fancy hotel with a designer bathroom and Bulgari toiletries, with innovative furniture and a huge terrace with an open vista, look elsewhere.

What you will get: a clean room, a shower (or a bath tube) in a centrally located and easy to reach building, free internet, great help in planning your trips, TV, in-room tea and coffee making facilities. Shops, restaurants and supermarkets are within 5 minutes walking tops.

What you will NOT get: space- rooms are tiny, views - except for a few rooms, most rooms have a view to the opposite building's wall, so close it looks like you can touch it. If you plan to enjoy your coffee on the balcony- forget it; there's no balcony and even the best views are street views, so no breathtaking panoramas here. No toiletries, just a soap and shampoo dispenser. No slippers, no body lotion or a bathrobe, very spartan. No fridge. Not very modern, it looks old (furniture, cracked walls, carpets). None of these bothered me as I spent the whole day outside and had my own travel essentials.

What I disliked: I arrived carrying two heavy bags and there was no one to help, the receptionist asked for my credit card then showed me the elevator door. I had to elbow my way to the elevator through a lobby packed with locals watching a football game while I was pushing my two huge pieces of luggage. The receptionist was totally indifferent to my struggle. This was quite a disappointing welcome, at least someone to open the elevator door would have been nice. Cleaning staff inflexible: when asked if she could clean, I said I will leave the room in 5 minutes. So she gets in, starts cleaning the bathroom, while I was still packing my bag in the room. I meant, wait for 5 minutes, not start working for 5 minutes in the bathroom..

What I liked: the staff is available to help with activities and tourist info, with clear infos and free maps to the area. Quite friendly and helpful. I also liked the laid back atmosphere, the genuine interest and efficient advice you get from the staff.

Breakfast: I would rather buy some organic products from next door and just have a capuccino at the hotel. The Netherlands is not famous for being a gourmet destination, so don't expect to have fantastic food and variety. Just enough to get you started for the day. Again, this did not bother me as I didn't expect or actually need much.

I would return: it is well located, calm, not terribly expensive and clean. It is a decent hotel for couples or solo travellers exploring the surroundings, I would recommend it less for families (in general, I would say city visits with young kids are a hassle). I spent here 4 nights sightseeing the dutch country side and Amsterdam and it was an adequate accommodation for this purpose.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank anda_holland
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Petit nord Is greatly positioned in hoorn, very close to the train station to go anywhere. Aprox 30mins to Amsterdam central. There is an elevator to reach the rooms however it does have exposed walls which wasn't a big deal for us we just didn't lean on the walls as it went up/down but I think it's something that should have been addressed, this is why I gave it the very good rating and not excellent. Apart from this is was fantastic. Great rooms with nice beds. Big bathrooms with great shower, big bath and double basin. The breakfast was excellent with plenty to choose from. It is not encluded in the room rate but worth the 10€ if you want to have a nice big breakfast. The wifi worked great also. The best part of this stay was the service, the man with glasses at the front desk was awesome! Very accommodating polite and helpful. He really made our stay! Great hotel!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank marnie h
Rivenhall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel is quite small, with very friendly and helpful staff. It is located very close (less than 5 minutes walk) from the station, and around 15 minutes easy walk from the harbour, and 10 minutes from the main square. We had a 'superior' twin room which was actually quite basic but very clean, and perfectly adequate for a couple of nights stay.

The bathroom was good, with his & hers basins, lots of hot water, and an excellent shower.

Breakfast at €10 per person was basic continental style, but there is plenty of choice, and the quality is excellent.

The hotel is close enough to the harbour and main square to be able to easily walk out to the bars and restaurants at night.

The proximity to the station is really useful if you arrive by train, avoids the need for taxis etc.

We really enjoyed our stay, and would recommend the hotel really without reservation for a short break, not luxurious, but has everything most people would need or expect.

There is some noise at night at weekends from passing 'revellers' but it is not excessive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoorn
Van der Valk Hotel Hoorn
Hotel De Koepoort
#1 of 5 in Enkhuizen
4.5 of 5 stars 62 reviews
Bed & Breakfast Grote Noord

Been to Hotel Petit Nord? Share your experiences!