“Very enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Hilversum
Denver, Colorado
“Very enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed three nights and used this hotel as our base for Amsterdam sightseeing. The hotel itself is very nice - a renovated/remodeled older "villa". We stayed in room 10 which was up one flight of stairs. Stairs in older Dutch houses are very narrow and the steps themselves quite small, so walking down, we had to turn our feet sideways. Not really a problem unless you carry something, just an issue to be aware of. There are rooms on the ground floor as well if the stairs are a problem for you.

Our room was very spacious and the bathroom was simply outstanding. It was huge with a deep, deep tub, large sink, a separate shower with glass doors and an enclosed toilet. Just fabulous.

We had a King-size bed and it was simply heavenly. I don't think I've ever slept as well in any other hotel.

The antique mirror in our room was beautiful, but unfortunately had big cracks. A sign by it said that the damage was done by a "sleep-drunken" guest who thought it was the bathroom door. I found it a bit disconcerting to be looking into a mirror with big cracks, but oh well.

We found the breakfast a bit pricey at 10 euros per person for what is basically a continental buffet breakfast, but the items looked very nice and fresh. We did not eat breakfast there, but what we saw looked good. The breakfast room looks very nice and comfortable as well. There is free coffee and tea throughout the day - a nice touch although I am not a big fan of Dutch coffee!

I did not find the "self-service" reception after 11:00 a.m. or so to be a problem at all. We rarely need service once we are settled in. As it turned out, the light bulb in the lamp by my side of the bed was burned out, so I called the number for the reception some time during the early evening on the day we checked in. I don't think it took even two minutes before there was a knock on our door and the owner brought a new light bulb and changed it. Frankly, that's better service I had in many hotels with an around-the-clock staffed reception desk.

It takes about 30 minutes by train to get to Amsterdam. Although the Hilversum-Noord station is a bit closer than the Hilversum Sportpark station, it's a small station and has no ticket counter. We had a heck of a time coming up with 22 euros in change (no change machine) to get two return tickets to Amsterdam and back from the ticket machine. Also, more trains come and go to or from Hilversum Sportpark , so your trip will most likely be quicker.

We really enjoyed our stay and can highly recommend this hotel. We were here by car which made the back-and-forth into the town of Hilversum very quick and easy. It's about a 15-20 minute walk otherwise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This quiet, elegant and comfortable hotel is almost perfect. Although it's totally self-service outside the hours of 7-11am, you can help yourself to tea and coffee in the breakfast room at any time. But I like a cup of something first thing, so if there were tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, it would have been absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: All the rooms were lovely, but there's a gorgeous suite downstairs, with a fabulous bath in the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Very nice hotel, clean, quiet, comfortable ...
Near to the Media Park and close to the train station (Amsterdam and Utrecht in half an hour).
Very nice for walking in "Het Gooi".
Lovely breakfast, and a jazzy lounge (with free tea or coffee) in the evening.
Nothing to critisize.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Loughborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

The hotel is a converted villa on the outskirts of Hilversum (on the 's Gravenland side). The rooms were beautifully clean and very tastefully decorated and spacious. The owners were very helpful. Good buffet breakfast, nicely presented. Reasonable prices too. There is little signage to the hotel, so it may be a bit difficult to find in the dark: trust your sat-nav!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New Haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed at the villa for one night and are quite familiar with the area. The location is excellent for city trips (close to Amsterdam and Utrecht, easy by train and car but take the train from H'sum, parking expensive everywhere) and nature trips (boating, biking, hiking). The rooms are well equipped (we had an opportunity to peek in others), have free WiFi, free coffee and tea in the living room, and the optional breakfast is great with a large selection of fresh breakfast items, eggs cooked to order, and very well priced. Our 2nd floor suite was large, well decorated and had a large tub, free standing shower and seperate toilet. Hilversum center is a 10 minute leisurely walk through a beautiful neighborhood. We highly recommend this B&B/hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Hotel Villa Trompenberg is a fabulous place to stay. Easy to find, quiet location, close to the centre of Hilversum. The room was fabulous, the breakfast sumptuous, and the staff great. You can even hire bicycles to get about on. The decor is very chic, and we made full use of the free tea, coffee, and chocolate in the breakfast room in the evening. Don't be fooled though, the "breakfast room" has a nice comfy area so you can sit and unwind after a long day. The hotel is self service after 12pm, but that is a good thing, as it means you can come and go as you please, and you don't feel awkward about using the breakfast room. Fabulous all round. We'll definitely be back the next time we visit Hilversum.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Booked this hotel thru Booking.com.
After my stay, upon arriving home, I received a mail from Booking.com, to review the hotel. Which I did (anonymously I was told).
In my review, I quoted most facilities with 7.5 (above average), except for the bathroom 5 (was simply too small) and the service 5 (hotel was maily self-service).
A few days later, I received an angry mail from the owner of the hotel, telling me that he disagreed with my opnions!
I was flabbergasted!
I even sent a friendly answer the owner clarifying my rating.
He answered my mail by telling me 'not to make a reservation in his hotel anymore'!!
What can I say.......
Of course, I reported this behavior to Booking.com but they didn't have the decency to answer me.

Room Tip: Be careful with the owner ;)
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Villa Trompenberg? Share your experiences!