“Small rooms and horrible food in the restaurant” 2 of 5 stars

Amrath Hotel Lapershoek
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Utrechtseweg 16, 1213 TS Hilversum, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Hilversum
Hilversum, The Netherlands
“Small rooms and horrible food in the restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

In July 2013 I had my wedding dinner in that hotel plus booked a room to accommodate my American guests. The hotel room was tiny and the shower didn't work properly. But the most disadvantageous part was the restaurant... The ONLY waiter could not serve all the guests in time, some of the guests were still waiting while others have finished their meal. The food (particularly the ribeye) was horrible. Though I asked to make it well done, it was chewy and completely red inside, I sent the meal back to kitchen and here's what they brought me - see photo. I expressed my dissatisfaction to the waiter, she promised to take it off the bill, but her manager Ms. Bosman refused. To be fair, I should say that they offered us a free coupon for High-Tea but we didn't want to go back there.The children's menu discussed in advance wasn't there - the chef had to cook something for them that moment, and while he did it the kids ate bread with butter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tbilisi, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Licated in 350 m from train station it is easy to reach... and comfortable to stay in summer or winter. Friendly staff, excellent and flexible service, nice terrace and a plenty of meeting rooms for business gathering...

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed in Hilversum when I was visiting Amsterdam and was very well pleased. It was easy enough to get to from Amsterdam Centraal, and then to get out to the airport (I'm used to taking trains). The hotel is a very easy five minute walk from the Sportpark station- all on the sidewalk.

The hotel is in a residential area, which made it attractive. When I was there, I found it cool and green and quiet. I liked the fact that room was in a large house, but with a full service restaurant downstairs.

My room was an excellent value, in fact, the best value I got on this trip. It was all to a fine standard with a full bathroom, cable TV, comfortable bed, etc. Being on the second floor, it had a very large window. I will include a picture to help give a sense of what staying here is like.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating and it seemed to me took pride in their work. All in all, I was very pleased and had a comfortable stay. Also, the value was great. Because of all of this, I will keep it in mind for future trips to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: An nice alternative to downtown Amsterdam, if you are used to taking the train
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Leiden, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there on a business trip with colleagues. Small rooms, outdated, with no airco. Environment and breakfast were nice, but hotel needs restyling, and fast, because this way of doimg business is not concordant with the year 2013.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Grass Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I booked a superior room and was shocked at the poor quality. The room was freezing (and I keep my own home around 65/8), poorly lit, and very well worn. The front office staff was friendly and helpful. Can't say that about the restaurant/bar staff. They were downright put-off to have to provide service. It was so bad, it was almost comical. I overheard another guest saying she wished tipping was the custom here because the staff might be more in tune to the customer's comfort. I completely agree. It's a shame because it's in such a nice location.
OH, almost forgot the €15 breakfast....I would opt out of if you stay here. A very big waste of €.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel could survive in such exhosted condition just because a big Nike EHQ offices are nearby and a lot of travelers are used to come for budsiness meetings there. And there is no better hotel in walking distance.
The hotel rooms and bathrooms are in desperate need of refurbishment. The bathroom with mould wasn't clean enough and was very tired.
Breakfasts were quite good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at the hotel after being booked by work so I didn't know what to expect. I found the staff to be good and fluent in English which was a must for me. My room was clean, comfortable and the shower was excellent, always a major plus for me. I ate evening meals on a couple of occasions both of which were very tasty and the breakfast buffet was varied and just what I wanted before a day's training. Location was good for the location of my work, don't know about anything else though as it looked to be a residential area, it was only a short walk from Hilversum Sportpark railway station which offered direct trains to Schipol Airport so again this was great for me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Amrath Hotel Lapershoek? Share your experiences!