“Charming hotel in excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stempels Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Haarlem
Stempels Hotel
You added Stempels Hotel to your Saves list
Klokhuisplein 9, 2011 Haarlem, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Netherlands
“Charming hotel in excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was at the hotel for a two-day conference last October and also stayed there. The location is excellent, right on the town square in the old city centre, surrounded by restaurants, cafes and shops. It is a very charming boutique hotel, which is converted from an old printing facility where many old Dutch banknotes and stamps were printed - hence the name of the hotel.

I had a room on the top floor and my room and bathroom were super spacious, clean, modern and cosy. The bed was very comfortable. The room even had a desktop computer - I can't remember if there was complimentary internet on the computer but I think so.

We were in two different meeting rooms - the rooms were cosier than conventional meeting rooms, more like private dining rooms but equipped with meeting equipments.

The breakfast buffet was fairly small but sufficient and decent. We had lunch on one day in the hotel - the dining room was nice, albeit a little formal. Food-wise, the lunch was average.

I don't remember for sure but I think there isn't any elevator in the hotel. As my room was on the top floor, I had to climb quite some stairs to get there. Guests who are less mobile may want to double-check about the availability of elevators or request for rooms on lower floors before booking.

I would definitely recommend this charming hotel to anyone visiting Haarlem.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
hereford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights with work. All staff were extrememly helpful and friendly. Rooms were modern, clean and pleasant to stay in. Breakfast was good every morning. Location is central Haarlem so easy to get anywhere by foot, also on the town square so excellent location for sampling local caf's and bars. Would definitely recommend and intend to stay on my next visit to Haarlem

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Charming hotel in the center of a charming town. Easy walking distance to everything in town including the train station. Staff went out of their way to be accommodating and everyone speaks English. The only improvement could have been with the breakfast. It is a small buffet and often one or more items were out and they were not replenished quickly. Loved having a pc and free internet in the room. The best bed ever!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
lancashire england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I reviewed this hotel in 2010, when I was there for a wedding. This time I was back to visit the same couple and their baby! The hotel was just as I remembered it, so everything I said in the last review still stands.
One good thing was I had booked a double room for two but I did mention in the email that I would be on my own for the first night - I only did this because of the local tourist tax which is pppn. When I got the bill they had charged me single occupancy for the first night - something a lot of hotels haven't done when I've been in this situation.
And this time I brought my own kettle!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stempels April 2012

Stempels is a restaurant/brasserie in Haarlem which does a sideline in accomodation and has a bar attached on the end.

It is located inside a beautiful old building right on the central square of Haarlem where the Cathedral of St. Bavo is located. The bells chime often but are mild and un-instrusive, adding a pleasant background noise to the general ambience of the town.

Rooms are well presented and well kept, and most important the beds are super comfortable. I got a wonderful view of St Bavo Church.

If you book here I would recommend a half board option where you get breakfast and dinner included in the price of your room for a little extra.

The restaurant itself serves very good food, it is minimalist and luxurious and you can order a wine accompaniment for an extra €27.00 (not included in the hotel price). The food is excellent and the courses are well balanced with a good combination of flavours well matched with the wine.

Concierge service is excellent and I was contacted by mobile after I had mistakenly left my washbag in the bathroom after leaving.

Overall a highly recommended place to stay, the only negative thing I can think of was the occasional bang coming from downstairs which is understandable as they are running a busy Brasserie. No noise at all after 11pm until I was woken pleasantly by the Church bells around 9am. Best night's rest I had in all of Holland.

One thing I would add is that the bar gets very busy in the evening (perhaps busier for me as I was staying on a Friday night) so expect a lively crowd when you arrive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back for complete quiet, but the noise is only slight from the front rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Harrogate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I've stayed here a few times, the hotel staff speak excellent English and the hotel is clean and tidy, the rooms vary a lot in size but are all very comfortable, beds are excellent.

One nice touch is a PC in each room for a bit of surfing.

Location couldn't be better, right next to the cathedral in the centre, its a bit pricey but given the quality and location its worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

This hotel is beautiful and very reasonably priced. I really enjoyed staying here. It's close to everything and it's the perfect setting for a trip to Haarlem which is a very romantic and old city.

Room Tip: I stayed in the upgraded suite and it was very big for Europe