“Great alternative to Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stempels Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Haarlem
Stempels Hotel
Save Saved
You added Stempels Hotel to your Saves list
Klokhuisplein 9, 2011 Haarlem, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Moscow
“Great alternative to Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Stayed in this hotel alone, with my wife and this time with my 7-year old son.
Hotel is specially designed in an old house where papers where printed.
Very clean, great design, great rooms and very cenral location at Haarlem.
It is also a good place to relax with family instead of busy Amsterdam. And Haarlem is just 15 minuets aways by train.

Room Tip: Write a request to them to get a bigger room with an extra bed. And also order breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mobile,AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this property for three nights earlier this month and we were very pleased with our choice. We did not notice any problems with odors as some others have previously noted. Our air conditioned room was on the top floor and was very clean with comfortable beds and was well maintained but did not have a bathtub and lacked an in room coffee maker(these "drawbacks" were of no concern to us but might be to someone else). In addition to a small flat screen TV with access to the BBC and CNN there was a computer in the room that allowed me to check my e-mail at no cost which was much appreciated.
The hotel staff was knowledgable and helpful.
We thought that the breakfast offerings were quite reasonable.
We found this property to be an excellent choice in the city centre of Haarlem.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Peron, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Vet pleasant hotel in centre of Haarlem, close to the city centre. Siuated in the home of the owner of a historical printing company, Welcoming small reception area. I was already booked in and they had my electronic room key ready for me. The room at the top was up some historic stairs though there was a convenient elevator. The room was large, well heated with windows overlooking central area. Large beds with soft matresses and fluffy pillows. Separate toilet and bathroom with both a tub and shower. Wardrobe antique armoire. Computer with flat screen and full keyboard in room.
Breakfast was a buffet with a good choice of scrambled egg, cereals, cold meats chesse. No salmon. Choice of breads and croissants.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
lancashire england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Stayed 2 nghts at Stempels to attend a wedding. The hotel and staff were all really good.
I had a large room on the top floor which was spacious and clean, had a lovely view over the square and good air con. The bed was extremely comfy and the room was very quiet - even though the hotel was full. Because the hotel was full of my family for the wedding I got to see four other rooms and they were all really lovely.
I had breakfast one morning and it was a good choice of the usual continental fare - meat cheese, cereal, yoghurt. eggs and pastries. The coffee was excellent and you could have as much as you wanted from a self serve machine.
The staff were friendly and efficient. We were a large group that tended to meet, wander off and reappear and at some point someone would pay eventually but the staff took this all in their stride!
Other reviewers have commented that the hotel smelt of fish. I went in a variety of rooms and never noticed this. And they'd certainly been cooking fish as we had it at the reception.
The only reason I decided to give 4 stars rather than 5 is that although I had a superior room it only had a shower (which was excellent) no bath - and there as room for one, and no tea and coffee facilities in the room. Usually I take a kettle with me but as I was travelling with handluggage only this hadn't been possible so it was an inconvenience but only a small one.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Dorking
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

It's a little while ago (a year to be precise) that we have stayed in hotel Stempels in Haarlem but as I've just started writing reviews, I felt I should tell about Stempels. We married in the nearby town of Heemstede in 2008. We live in the UK and chose Haarlem as the town of choice to assemble our guests from around the world as Haarlem is a beautiful old Dutch town and not far at all from Schiphol airport. We came back for our first anniversary and found the quality unchanged (excellent). There is a restaurant and a bar used by locals as well as guests.

The night before our wedding we slept in Stempels which we chose as it has lovely old features mixed with contemporary design, beautiful breakfast rooms, nice bedrooms and VERY comfortable Hastings beds. I used the beautiful old staircase to meet my husband to be and the guests that were already in Haarlem. So good memories all around.

The staff was so kind to refrigerate some off the left-over cake which we shared with guests in the morning. I've seen some whinging about breakfast in other reviews. I've been in Stempels twice now and once for lunch and the food is of an excellent quality. Great bread and lovely toppings is more important than a quantity of factory yoghurts etc. Trust the Dutch for breakfast!

Our guests that stayed in the hotel with us liked it as much as we did.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

The place does stink, of food also. Their main business is being a restaurant. Also they ripped me off for a nights stay because they did not get my cancellation via email, much like another traveler. Otherwise very nice place, unless you get a room where you cannot open the window, or you get one of the rooms over looking their kitchen where you can become one with the smells.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

We stayed in a superior room which was very large and had beautiful beams and a lovely view of the church beyond. In fact the place has tons of charm and character. Stempels is based right on the Grote Markt in Haarlem and is in a perfect location to see the main city as its so central. Almost below the hotel is a public car park which you need to use if taking your car. The hotel doesnt have any parking facilities and parking is very expensive not to mention that finding the hotel is not fun with lots of tiny little one way roads. My advice is take the train, the station is a short bus journey or 10mins walk away.

The room was clean with a spacious and moderately comfortable bed. Despite being so central close to tens of bars/restuarents, we had a quiet and paceful nights sleep. Checkin was slow. We had a computer on a proper desk in our room but no tes/coffee making facilities. Downstairs there is a restuarent, the food was nice enough. Prices are around 10euro for lunch but much more for dinner.

As for the smell of the room which quite runied our stay, I can only guess that cleaning stuff used our toilet prior to our having the room or there is a serious drain blockage issue. There is no ventilation in the bathroom so the smell stayed with us for the first night and lingered for the second. The hotel was all booked up so changing rooms wasnt an option.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Stempels Hotel? Share your experiences!