“A place to sleep rather than a place to stay” 3 of 5 stars

Die Raeckse Hotel
Raaks 1-3, 2011 VA Haarlem, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Haarlem
Haarlem
“A place to sleep rather than a place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has 2 differing parts. The cafe and lobby area are quite charming/old grand cafe in style (breakfast simple and included in price). Once you go upstairs to the rooms it starts becoming dated and worn. My single room was small although bed was a small double. Shower didn't have a curtain, strange but managed to keep the place dry. Tv in room was an old demo model from a shop and remote was clearly not for the tv. Staff were friendly but keep in mind you can only check in up to 9pm. wireless could not be found in the room.

Location is fine for Haarlem, just off centre, easy to reach main square, station etc. supermarket and small square opposite with cinema, restaurants.

If you're planning to spend most of the time not in the hotel, then it's fine otherwise you'll probably want extra comfort. Just about value for money

• Stayed August 2012

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

In May my husband and I spent 6 nights in the Hotel Die Raeckse. We chose Haarlem as a base to save on hotel rates. From the hotel it is a 15 minute train ride to Amsterdam, however
you must walk or take a bus to the train station. It's approximately a 15 minute walk.
There is no lift/elevator in the hotel. They have Wi-Fi, but it is available only in the breakfast room and those rooms above the lobby. the owners/hosts had no problem with us using the breakfast room to use the Wi-Fi. Our room and linens were clean, the bed was comfortable. They offer a breakfast buffet that is adequate. The only negative is that the owners/hosts were not at all friendly, and seemed put out if asked any tourist type questions.

Room Tip: We had a room towards the back of the hotel, and our room was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Armagh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights last week, an enjoyable experience. I chose Haarlem rather than Amsterdam as it was easier to get a hotel within my budget, and has good transport connections to the airport and Amsterdam. Die Raeckse was scrupulously clean, the room was small (although bigger than in the other hotel I stayed in on my trip) ,the bed was comfortable, the breakfast was good. It's a family business and, while the owners have limited English, their daughter speaks it well. she has opened a coffee shop next door - I'd recommend the apple cake!

The owner was always very helpful - it was a hot day when I arrived, and she put a fan in my room. The breakfast buffet was good, and as a previous post has said, the owners kept an eye on what everyone was taking - but it was so that the additional croissants could be put in the oven, more eggs put out, and the coffee machine replenished. I took this as a sign of good management, not suspicion!

It's an old building, so, in common with many Dutch hotels, the stairs are narrow, but not a problem. The hotel website states that all single rooms face the street, so I came prepared for some noise, fortunately since the local bottle bank has been recently installed directly opposite and was cleared every weekday at about 7.00am. I'd brought earplugs, and wasn't disturbed too much. There was little noise from other rooms, but that depends more on other travellers than on the quality of the soundproofing!

I will definitely return to Haarlem, and to this hotel!

Room Tip: If you're travelling solo, be aware that all the rooms are on the street side, so take earplugs...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I spent 7 days in Netherland for a holiday and stayed in a Die Raeckse Hotel owned by a Chinese couple. We paid the total bill upfront with cash (660.80 euros).

The first day we arrived, the owner (she) was friendly. However, everything turned so differently on the second day onwards. Why? The owner(she) was unhappy with the amount of food we took for the breakfast even though we never wasted any of it!

The eyes of the woman never stop watching how much we eat for breakfast throughout our stay! We (especially me) felt uncomfortable with the way she treated us. If we hadn't already paid the bill in full, I would have asked my husband to move to a different hotel.

The owner should pay more attention to the few problems in the hotel such as narrow stairs, noise as the result of thin walls, unsteady toilet seat, torn net curtain, etc rather than observing how much people eat!

We would never choose this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Amiens, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the hotel Die Raeckse and really enjoyed the stay (me, wife, young daughter). Haarlem was a great alternative for us vs. Amsterdam. Very close to Amsterdam (~15 minutes train or about the same time by car). However, we were interested in seeing some other sites (e.g. Keukenhof) and were driving, which made the smaller, calmer Haarlem the perfect location.

We found the hotel very nice. It is not luxury nor fancy, but very clean and well run. The owners were extremely friendly and helpful with any questions or needs. The included breakfast was very good each morning. We would definitely choose Die Raeckse again.

Room Tip: The rooms very a lot by size. We had 3 sinlge beds and the room was very large. There were other r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Haifa, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

The hotel looks rather old although maintained in a decent level. The room was the tiniest I ever had. The TV remote did not work. I had no one in the desk to ask for neither the Wi-FI key nor batteries/remote replacement after 9 PM. There were too few power sockets and no internet socket at all. The accessibility to the radiator valve was poor. I froze before I found the right direction of the knob. The staff was pleasant although not fluent English speakers. Breakfast was poor and so was the room furniture. I did not suffer there but it was not a cozy stay at all.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were so glad we decided to stay in Haarlem rather than Amsterdam - nice location, good breakfast, friendly owners. The bed was much more comfortable than the place we stayed in Brussels and we had much more room.

Would have no problem recommending this hotel to a friend who wanted to see Amsterdam but not stay there - plus Haarlem was lovely.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Die Raeckse Hotel? Share your experiences!