“Monotonous” 3 of 5 stars

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Monotonous”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I went here on a quiet day without a lot of people. Only us and a group student (who weren't very loud).

I actually expected a lot from this museum, because I know much about mental disorders, so there is not a lot people can learn me anymore. Still I wanted to go to this museum, because I live nearby and was interested in the content.

The museum is nearby the bus and trainstation and lies next to a park. I didn't had to pay much for the entrance. What did annoy me, was that I had to leave my jacket and purse, even when I was cold.

If you are interested in depression and psychosis, then this museum might be interesting for you. I know all about depressions, so I got a little bored in this museum. They don't explain much about anorexia, borderline retarted, ADHD etc. There was a room where you can listen to a few people who experienced something like a depression and you can experience how it's like to be in a isolation chamber. There is also a small room where they explain what a psychiatrist is and what he does. YOu also can read what some people in some times thought about, for example ; gay people.

At the end there is a big room to, wich I like the most. You had to put a stethoscope in your ears and you had to put the end stethoscope on/in the shape where it fitted in. On the holes where you can put the stethoscope in, are notes with what kind of text is behind the hole. When you put it on a hole, you can listen to some one like a psychiatrist, doctor, client and priests from different timelines (1600 AC but also 1950 AC). The pole with the holes in it, are in front of things like a bathtub, bed, pictures and other stuff that has something to do with mental hospitals/disorders and the history of it.

What I din't like about that, was the pain in my ears because of the stethoscope.

Visited October 2012

Haarlem, Nederland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Cool and different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This museum is an example of how modern museums should look, in my opinion. There are sound effects, they play with colour and everywhere there are place you can look and learn something.
I love how they pick the stories of a group of people with mental disorders to show you how they think and see life.
The last room you enter is an explanation of how mental illness is treated by society through the years, really interesting.

Visited September 2012
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very nice old building, food and experience somewhat average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

On the plus side:
* beautiful old building, terrace is quiet and with a nice view
* fresh ingredients for food and tasty beers you'll never find again from small micro breweries
* prices ok. Not too expensive.

On the neutral and minus:
* not a terribly exciting interior or very comfy chairs
* staff ok but not too over friendly. Did not feel like a real guest.

Visited June 2013