“Unbelievably amenable staff. Well, they became friends of mine so I could say the treatment of customers is something special.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hello I'm Local Boutique Hostel

You added Hello I'm Local Boutique Hostel to your Saves list
Hello I'm Local Boutique Hostel
Spiegelstraat 4, 2011BP Haarlem, The Netherlands   |
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

When considering the interior, it's more like a hotel. When considering the hostel staff, it's more like a nest for just born bird babies.
Go ahead and try to prove these thoughts wrong! I think the staff has to have a very very bad day if your experience ends to be something else than mine.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The title pretty much says it all. I might add that the design is comfortable (they tried to source everything local from Haarlam), there are good nibbles, and the staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. On a spare evening I was pointed towards a excellent characterful restaurant bar with live music.

I will end by saying that they should emphasise that they have a courtyard with wood burner, as it was a nice place to end a long day and I am not sure it was mentioned on the website!

Room Tip: I stayed in the 8 person room. It had good bunks, and everyone there was quiet and respectful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

One of the best hostels I have stayed in - so much so, this is actually my first time reviewing anything on Trip Advisor. But this hostel was so comfortable, welcoming and special that it deserves a few words.

If you want a hostel that treats you like an adult, with a desire to have a clean hostel, good bathrooms & shower, and some quiet at night, this is for you. It's still got a great social atmosphere to it but in a pleasant way.

It's also worth considering if you only want to be in the madness of Amsterdam for the day time.. Haarlem is only about 15 mins on the train (2 or 3 stops) from Centraal Station. For me, it was the perfect way to be able to have easy access to the city but pay less for accommodation - and get something special in the process.

The staff are very friendly and inviting - they make an effort to remember each guest's name and are always on hand to offer advice on things to do, help you with anything generally or just to chat. There's a great common area where people play board games and chat and drink a local beer. Across the street, is a really small pub with a bulldog (but friendly one) keeping watch over things through the day. I never felt things weren't safe there - even though the lockers under the beds don't actually have a facility to lock it securely, the whole vibe and atmosphere of the place lends itself to everyone watching out for and respecting each other's things.

The room I had was fantastic - although 8 beds, they were well spaced out and had individual reading lamps. Upon entering the room, there was even a small hallway type area with a door leading to an en-suite shower and sink (the bathroom was right next door). The beds were already made up fresh, with a big duvet and decent pillow. Good, clean kitchen facilities also.

Only downside for me was a group of party people in my room on my second and last night there - the usual no respect for their fellow travellers, lights on, talking to each other loudly on coming back from their night out but can't fault the hostel for that, it's the chance you take anywhere..
All in all, great hostel in a really lovely location, close to all amenities and well worth a stay. If only more hostels could follow this example!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

With the exception of the shared dorm style accommodations, this hostel is closer to a boutique hotel than a hostel. The decor was stunning. The overall vibe was comfy, clean, elegant, and unpretentious.

My bed was super comfy and the sheets, towels etc were all very clean. I ended up spending one of my nights sipping drinks by the fire instead of going out to a bar. They even have a cute lobby bar that serves snacks and drinks!

Loved my stay would definitely recommend staying here instead of staying in Amsterdam. Wonderful way to finish up my trip to the Netherlands.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at Hello, I'm Local. The people who run it are friendly and helpful - and speak perfect English - and Haarlem itself is worth a visit. It's close enough to visit Amsterdam without having to stay there.
We stayed in two different private rooms during our stay. Both were clean and comfortable and innovatively furnished.
There's a nice fireplace out in the courtyard too.
Breakfast is not included, as it is at many hostels, but for 4 or 5 Euros, they will serve you some delicious breakfast or there's a fridge if you prefer to bring your own food.

• Stayed July 2013
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

On a trip through the Netherlands, we checked in at Hello I'm Local, and this was by far the best hostel we stayed at in Holland. Friendly, helpfull staff, clean rooms, toilets and showers and close to the city center.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hengelo, Overijssel, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Perfect hostel for a weekend with friends. It's clean, close to the city center and the staff is friendy and gives you tips about the city, the beach, good restaurants and so on to make your stay comfortable. Our rooms where not very big, but big enough and there is enough space to relax in the hostel itself. It's clean and all the rooms are decorated very nice. The creative vibe of the owners and staff is fantastic. Close to the hostel you can rent a small boat to explore Haarlem and Heemstede from an different view.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hello I'm Local Boutique Hostel? Share your experiences!