If you have been to Europe you will know that beautiful historic churches are not in short supply however I found The Cathedral of Sint Bavo (or The Grote Kerk or St.-Bavokerk) was just lovely, amazing and different! Go on a market day and it's just wonderful before and after entering the church!
First of all there is a small fee to enjoy the church and I found it worthwhile. I think it's often best to just enjoy on your own but a few things to look for are as follows:
1. The organ. Well you can't miss it but if you are as lucky as I there will be someone playing it. Mozart and Handel have both played on this organ and I found that intoxicating. It sounds and looks just beautiful.
2. Medieval ships. Honestly I don't recall the history but these ships are strung from the ceiling and are models of ships. Thinking about how old they are and what they represent for such a shipping culture if amazing.
3. Graves. You are walking on a bunch of old graves. Pretty odd but cool at the same time. Hundreds of years old.
4. Old map painting of Haarlem.
5. The bronze sculpture of a pelican. This is what the artist thought they look like, pretty cool because it isn't what they look like. ;)
If you own or manage Cathedral of Sint Bavo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.