“Good biz hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Toekanweg 2, NL 2035 Haarlem, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Haarlem
“Good biz hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Went there for business. Had a room in the new wing. Very comfortable room and spacious. The staff is friendly and provide good service. Breakfeast is great. Not too far from haarlem city center. Could smoke a cigar in the smoking room. Only bad point, it s very slow to check out in the morning.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I had the opportunity to stay here when I arrived in Europe 3 weeks ago and as I am departing tomorrow. It's the perfect spot to stay just outside of Amsterdam and close to the center of Haarlem which is a cool little city to see while in the Netherlands. This particular trip started with Fred picking me up in the complimentary shuttle service from Schiphol Airport. I arrived to a nice clean room with super comfy beds. Had a great breakfast in the restaurant and then Stella and Venessa at the front desk saved me. Literally, went out of their way to find me another room to stay in as all of amsterdam and surrounding is sold out due to an expo in the area. The service is exceptional and I cannot thank them enough!

Some rooms are completely renovated like the one I had on my first visit. I am in an older room, but still very spacious, new LCD TV's and bedding is great. It's very clean. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Yorktown, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

There are two wings One is old and that is the cheaper price shown but the nicer wing with the photo shown is expensive but not quite 4 stars They don't use fabric softener for the sheets and towels plus there is no hand lotion There is two beds put together and they call it a queen It is far from town and it cost us $10 a day for the bus The management was not helpful when we had an issue Very unprofessional find another hotel

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night and would stay agian. Located in a commercial area its a 20 minute walk in to the centre with plenty of pedestrian crossings or public transport. Free parking and very comfy beds were the highlight. Didn't try the breakfast but we asked for extra milk and got it straight away. Staff very friendly and helpful. Room was very nice for the price. Spacious and clean. Bathroom was lovely too.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dereham, Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Second time here, both times on a business trip and the hotel provided by the company. Large well furnished and appointed rooms and bathrooms, great walk-in shower. Everything in my room was new and spotlessly clean so I find it difficult to see how only 60% on TA would recommend ?!
They have a very strict bar policy - if there's a customer, it stays open !! Certainly no complaints in that department and the staff were all friendly and helpful
Didn't have an evening meal but breakfast was good with cooked and continental options, plenty of choice and lots of dining space.
Would happily recommend and definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

When I write this review only 60% of the hotel guests that wrote a review on TA were recommending this hotel. And I wonder why only 60%? It is a very big hotel with 2 wings (old and new), with a huge parking area and it is a great place to start exploring Netherlands. We opted for a triple room with breakfast. The room is located at the ground floor of the hotel and you have to cross the restaurant to get to the triple rooms. It has 3 beds, one big LCD Tv, safe, big bathroom with bathtube and shower cabin and no minibar. The breakfast is really rich, you will find boiled and scrambled eggs, american pancakes, dutch cheese, ham, croissants, fruits, tomatoes, cucumbers, cooked mushrooms, bacon. You can also take away your coffee which it is really a plus for this hotel. Orange juice is natural and I really loved it. If you want to explore the city you can take bus 3 or 73 from Schipolweg stop for 2 euro one way.
Now coming to the minuses I observed: 1) the walls are thin and you can hear everything your neighbours are talking about; 2) the reception wanted to block around 600 euro on my credit card if I would have paid my total bill of 490 euro at the end of my stay. The reception did not explain me well this rule and they asked me to insert my pin in POS to block the 600 euro. I rejected the payment so I paid in advance my real bill. Why should I pay 110 euro more and to receive them back God knows when if I will not spend more than my accomodation and breakfast bill?
Except this minor incident we had a really enjoyable stay here, visiting the flower fields of Noordwijkherhout, Noordwijk and Lisse, Keukenhof Tulip Garden, Noordwijk beach, Zaanse Schans functional XVIIth century windmills and Amsterdam.
I totally recommend this hotel both for business and holiday.

Room Tip: Ask a room in the new wing!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We were on a cycle tour and the hotel were able to provide safe storage for our bikes.
This felt more like a business hotel. It does have a gym and pool but we didn't use it,
Our room was large and beds comfortable.. not much of a view though! If you are wanting a double bed in Holland then you need to request it, ours were two singles pushed together and made up separately!
Bathroom had bath and separate shower and there were tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
Price was £85 for the night exc breakfast which we thought was reasonable for a four star hotel. Especially as we had paid 102 for a three star in Lisse the night before!
Hotel is a short walk to the old part of Haarlem which unfortunately had a noisy fairground in the main square which rather spoilt it for us as I imagine it would have been lovely! But its like a mini Amsterdam and I would definitely go back avoiding a bank holiday weekend!

Room Tip: Ask for a double bed if you want one as twins seem to be popular in Holland!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Haarlem? Share your experiences!