“Best Quirky, Fun Place I've stayed” 5 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast L'Anders
Grote Markt 12, 2011 RD Haarlem, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Haarlem B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Best Quirky, Fun Place I've stayed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have just returned from Haarlem - stayed at L'Anders for 2 nights. The room was wonderful full of character. It was in the best location - 5-10 mins walk either direction to shops or station. The breakfast was AMAZING as were the staff - they were courteous, friendly and helpful. The food was lovely and they had all amenities. Free ...yes FREE mini bar stocked for our use.

The only downside was the noise - I do have to mention it as it was quite bad. The hotel do provide ear plugs though. The noise started about 2-3am when the clubs closed up and on saturday morning they have a market so we could hear the market sellers throughout the night putting up their stalls - However the staff, location and food would tempt me back there again although I would definately ask for a back room and that it such a shame as the front room had a beautiful view of the square.

Room Tip: Book the back room to avoid noise at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have just returned from the best stay we have ever had in Haarlem. When you make a hotel booking you read the reviews, the pros and cons, and then make your choice. We choose “Bed and Breakfast L'Anders”. This is a small 4 bedroom place with the rooms above the restaurant facing onto the beautiful square.
We were welcomed by one of the friendliest people I have meet in awhile, indeed one of the stand out experiences of our stay was the quality of the people who work here. Nothing was to much trouble and everything done with a smile.
We were given our room, number 3, and ascended the steep stairs. Don't complain about stairs, this is Holland and all old buildings have them and no lift, remember these beautiful old buildings are part of the reason you love Holland!
A large room with a lovely mix of different furniture and two windows looking out on to the Grote Markt. There is some noise but you are in the centre of town and if you have trouble sleeping the wonderful people from Bed and Breakfast L'Anders give you free colourful earplugs! Outside our door was a fridge filled with complementary beer, water, juices and wine.
The breakfast the next morning was a treat to behold, nice large coffee to start then freshly squeezed orange juice, muesli and yogurt and then a plate of ham and cheeses, served with  croissant and bread fresh from the oven, all served to your table. Fill up of coffee and off for the day.
I could go on and on about how much we enjoyed our stay but let me end by saying come February we will be back. Thank you all at “Bed and Breakfast L'Anders”

Room Tip: Go for Room 3 (but not when we go there!)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at this BnB after reading the reviews here. And yes, it was a really nice ad wonderful experience! We stayed at room 4, and had no problems with sound/noise (though it is true that you can hear people when they come out/go into their rooms).
We checked in really late and the Manager was really nice to recommend a good late-dinner place (which the food was really nice!) for us and show us on the map where to pack our car.
He also helped us bring our 24'" heavy suitcase up 2 flights of very steep and scary stairs to our room.
Their breakfast is abit later only at 10am, but if you let him know early, he usually will arrange something for you. Their breakfast is simply awesome! The croissant is super nice and flaky, and I loved the freshly squeezed orange juice. They do provide quite a relatively simple but nice selection for breakfast.
There are only 4 rooms in this BnB, so the service is very personal and has a homely feel to it.
It's a must-go if you are planning to stay in Haarlem!

Room Tip: The stairs are really steep (there is no lift here)! Try not to bring suitcase and opt for backpack.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at Bed & Breakfast L'Anders.

The location can't be beat: right on the Grote Markt, close to everything. Also, the train station is only a 10 minute walk, and from there you can get just about anywhere so easily.

I was in Room 2, at the back of the building - great choice. No noise from the square, and only one flight of stairs to climb. The room was large, and I had everything I needed. Very comfortable. I think the only thing I would comment on is that, even without being on the market square, there was still noise in the room from other guests coming and going (i.e. noises from doors and stairs, etc). The B & B did provide ear plugs, which was awesome. I'm a very light sleeper, so if I was OK, anyone would be OK. :)

Breakfast was wonderful - what a treat to sit on the square each morning, have a wonderful meal, and watch the world go by. Also, the staff was extremely accommodating with my dietary requirements. Couldn't have been more helpful! I had to leave early on my final morning, and they packed the nicest little breakfast for me to take to Schiphol.

I almost always travel by myself and don't usually enjoy sitting in a restaurant for dinner alone, but the staff at L'Anders made me feel right at home, and I had two excellent dinners there.

The owners and staff at this B & B made it one of the friendliest I have ever stayed at. I can't say enough about all of them - just exceptional. It felt like I was still at home. I wouldn't stay anywhere else next time I come to Haarlem.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

A superb stay in the Grotte market with the most generous hosts. We were in room 1 overlooking the market square. Yes it was noisy at night but that reflected the life of the place. It was like living on a film set. We loved it and we slept really well without ear plugs! We stayed for 6 nights and felt really at home. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. Lots of lovely food as well as advice about places to go and things to see. Lovely little treats like complimentary drinks and packed lunches when we couldn't make breakfast. We were in our car and parking around about is not too easy. Something that makes Haarlem really special as the bike clearly had priority over cars. It was suggested we leave our car at the park and ride at Ikea and get the train into the town. This worked really well for us.
Such a great holiday, so many kind and friendly people. We cannot recommend this place to stay and Haarlem enough. Many many thanks.

Room Tip: Room 1 is huge with a great view of the market square
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Janesville, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Acomodating host! All rooms are on the 2nd or 3rd floor, steep steps but they bring up your luggage. Nicely decorated. Hair dryer available. No A/C but generally not needed as it cools off at night even on the hottest day. Breakfast is served starting at 10 am but any day you want an early start, let them know the afternoon before and they will pack up a breakfast for you and leave it in thr 3rd floor fridge. Grote market square is beautiful but can be quite noisy on a summer weekend evening. Some do not depart until 4 or 5 am! Bring good quality ear plugs and you will have a great stay (test the ear plugs 1st, they are not all equal)

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had the most amazing time! 5 of us were on a mother/daughter Taste of Europe! And we all agreed that L'Anders in Haarlem was our favorite place of the whole trip. Xiadong (our wonderful host) was gracious and welcoming! We arrived after a looonnng flight from Atlanta and were delighted that we were staying at Brasserie L'Anders. This charming bed and breakfast is right on the Grote Markt . I have never been anywhere so charming in my life! We had a wonderful night and great breakfast was included. We sat outside and watched people riding by on their bikes while dining on cheeses, bread, yogurt, nutella.... and yummy coffee. The church where Mozart played as a child was steps away. Shopping was delightful. And our favorite part.... the Corrie Ten Boom haus was a few blocks away! A free tour ( they do take donations and sell books) of the home where they hid jews during WWII was inspiring! We visited 4 countries during our trip, but L'Anders in the Netherlands was our favorite! Thank you Xiandong Watchao! Your family is lovely! If you are ever in Atlanta, we would love to welcome you into our home like you welcomed us!

Room Tip: the front room has an amazing view of the square, but there were some people laughing loudly after m...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family