I am only submitting this review to Triadvisor after sending the same one to the hotel management, which elicited a dismissive and unconcerned response. We stayed in the 'Joops' part of the hotel.
The ‘bathroom’ (room with a shower) is barely functional. There is no shower facility - just a shower-head in the ceiling and a hole in the ground as a drain. In fact, there was even a scraper in the room, placed there by the hotel management, to direct the water into the hole in the ground (drain) so that the apartment did not flood. Not acceptable. There was no sense of comfort - no shelves, no holder for toiletries, no heating, not even a towel rail.
Four apartments are in a separate building with no reception. There are a large number of steep, inaccessible stairs. OUR apartment had these stairs although when we asked at reception, we were told that there was a lift. The lift only went to the first floor, meaning that we had to descend and climb three additional flights of stairs, and walk along an outside corridor, every time we went out.
There is no double glazing in the apartment, so the noise from the bars in the street below, though apparently “normal” for a weekend, was unacceptable, even though we were on the fifth floor. The apartment is also very cold; the kitchen door leaks and the water which enters the room makes the floor very slippy.
We had assumed that the accommodation that we booked, under the aegis of the ‘Ambassador Hotel’ name, would be of the same standard as the hotel. It was not. In fact, it was very poor quality, and disappointing, as mentioned in our feedback. The decor is extremely dated and tired. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone, particularly since the management are unprepared to accept that the problems exist, and in their feedback in response to my complaints suggest the standard is "normal" for a hotel of this type.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The monumental Ambassador City Centre Hotel is located in the historic heart of the city of Haarlem facing the St. Bavo Church. For city trippers this friendly hotel is an excellent choice. From the hotel, all the fun and interesting attractions can be easily reached. The train station is only a five-minute walk from the hotel. All rooms in the Ambassador City Centre Hotel*** are non-smoking. The stylish rooms are all marked by their unique interiors. A number of rooms also have a gorgeous view of the St. Bavo Church. The other rooms are at the rear of the hotel where you can rest peacefully in the heart of the city. Because of our unique location we are not allowed to offer our own parking facilities or discounts. In the hotel's surroundings there are public parking facilities available at an additional charge. We recommend parking in parking garage 'Appelaar' about 3 minutes walk from the hotel. Ambassador City Centre Hotel guarantees you an atmospheric stay in an ambiance in which you will feel at home immediately. The hotel offers all facilities you need for a weekend away or a long stay, for a leisure or a business trip. You can sweeten your stay by visiting our traditional Italian restaurant or our Grand Café 'De Gouverneur.' I wish you an enjoyable stay. Yours sincerely, Paul van Riek, General Manager. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Ambassador City Centre Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambassador City Centre Haarlem
- Hotel Ambassador City Centre