Staying at the Joops was a bit like borrowing an apartment, and in fact some of the rooms now seem to be apartments. The hotel has a locked security entrance with no lobby or front desk, located at the corner of the best street for restaurants in town, and just 1 or 2 blocks from several tourist attractions. Can't beat the location--in fact, don't pay for breakfast at the Ambassador Hotel: instead, walk a block SE on the Kleine Houtstraat to a great little bakery with good coffee, on the corner of the Gedempte Oude Gracht.
We stayed in a quad room, which was quite large, though its space wasn't used efficiently. The four single beds were comfortably firm; the pillows were small. Each had its own nightstand and light, and there were enough outlets for recharging phone/iPods, etc. Our teenage sons loved the very fast wifi. The room had a kitchenette and dishes, though the refrigerator wasn't plugged in. It was very quiet, partly because it was in the back of the building; the view included a maze of tiny yards, additions to houses, and the full length of the Sint Bavokerk a block away, rising above everything. The worst part was that the shower had no separation from the rest of the bathroom--no curtain or floor bumper to stop water from running everywhere, just a squeegee to push it back towards the drain. Everything in the room got wet if you weren't careful.
It met our needs. We wanted to get over jet lag in a place that was comfortable and inexpensive; this was a very good price and comfortable for the most part.
- Also Known As:
- Ambassador City Centre Haarlem
- Hotel Ambassador City Centre
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The monumental Ambassador City Centre Hotel is located in the historic heart of the city of Haarlem facing the St. Bavo Church. For city trippers this friendly hotel is an excellent choice. From the hotel, all the fun and interesting attractions can be easily reached. The train station is only a five-minute walk from the hotel. All rooms in the Ambassador City Centre Hotel*** are non-smoking. The stylish rooms are all marked by their unique interiors. A number of rooms also have a gorgeous view of the St. Bavo Church. The other rooms are at the rear of the hotel where you can rest peacefully in the heart of the city. Because of our unique location we are not allowed to offer our own parking facilities or discounts. In the hotel's surroundings there are public parking facilities available at an additional charge. We recommend parking in parking garage 'Appelaar' about 3 minutes walk from the hotel. Ambassador City Centre Hotel guarantees you an atmospheric stay in an ambiance in which you will feel at home immediately. The hotel offers all facilities you need for a weekend away or a long stay, for a leisure or a business trip. You can sweeten your stay by visiting our traditional Italian restaurant or our Grand Café 'De Gouverneur.' I wish you an enjoyable stay. Yours sincerely, Paul van Riek, General Manager. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Tingo, HotelsNL and Venere so you can book your Ambassador City Centre Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.