“A wonderful tribute to an amazing woman” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Corrie ten Boom House

The Corrie ten Boom House
19 Barteljorisstraat | North Holland, 2002 CE Haarlem, The Netherlands (Centrum)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 14 attractions in Haarlem
Type: Historic Sites, Museums, Specialty Museums
Attraction Details
Ithaca, New York
9 attraction reviews
“A wonderful tribute to an amazing woman”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

After being a huge fan of the book, it was obvious that my husband and I come and visit Corrie Ten Boom's house in Haarlem when we were in Holland for a work conference.

The canal house is much different than I envisioned it in the book - steep and narrow staircases and the tiniest little hiding place for the persecuted people Corrie was helping. The surprising thing is the size of the space to get into the hiding place - I didn't imagine that it was so close to the ground and hard to get through (we were allowed to try during the tour).

The tour was very personalized and a volunteer tour guide told us Corrie's story.

There is no charge for the tour, but you really should give some sort of donation to keep this place available for future visitors!

The watch shop downstairs is still Ten Boom jewelry store. Be sure to use the entrance in the alley, though, the watch shop is not directly connected to the tours.

Kuala Lumpur
“A must-do if you're in Haarlem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My travel party of Four went on this tour after reading through various reviews of this place. We didn't exactly know what to expect but the tour was excellent.
The tour was free, manned by volunteers & mainly covered almost all the rooms in the home & it brought us back to feel how it'd be like to be living in that same hse during WW2.

The large religious component was not a bother at all, as it is the main reason as to why Corrie & her family did what they did for the Jews back then, & indeed a true demonstration of generosity & kindness that this woman had.

This was indeed the best historical tour that we went on during our country stops in different parts of Europe & would certainly like to offer a recommendation to others which may be keen.

Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia
“Excellent Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My partner & I went to this tour. We happened to be staying across the road from this house & stumbled across it when venturing out & thought we may as well go. We didn't exactly know what to expect but the tour was excellent. From memory, I believe the tour was free. The tour was mainly completed in the living room & felt 'so real' however we did get to venture to other areas of the house. There were pictures of the family around the house & of the Jewish people that had lived in the house for safety. The hiding place was well-preserved & you really got a sense of what it had been like living in the house during WWII. Yes, there was a large religious component but this does not draw away from the generosity & kindness that this woman & her family had to offer.

I felt this was one of the best tours that we went on during our time in Holland & would recommend this tour to others.

Visited November 2012
4 attraction reviews
“Plan your trip ahead of time, be prepared for evangelism, totally worth it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

My experience with the ten Boom House was very similar to my experience reading her book. I found the evangelism and religiosity somewhat off-putting, but not hateful or judgmental. I think that the tour (and the book) were completely worthwhile in spite of my lack of spiritual connection. The human story is amazing and the ability to see the places described in the book was incredible.

There are only a few set tour times every day and they are not posted online. I recommend getting there when the house opens for the morning and getting in line for the first tour of the day.

Drogheda
25 attraction reviews
“Very Inspiring”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Having read 'The Hiding Place' some years ago it was great to see where it all began. The tour was free and informative. Unfortunately the Gestapo wrecked the house when they raided it, so not a lot of the fixtures and fittings are original. However, the hiding place itself is well preserved. The faith of Corrie ten Boom (and indeed of our tour guide) was very movingly expressed.