“Excellent Tour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Corrie ten Boom House

The Corrie ten Boom House
19 Barteljorisstraat | North Holland, 2002 CE Haarlem, The Netherlands (Centrum)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 14 Attractions in Haarlem
Type: Historic Sites, Museums, Specialty Museums
Attraction Details
Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia
“Excellent Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My partner & I went to this tour. We happened to be staying across the road from this house & stumbled across it when venturing out & thought we may as well go. We didn't exactly know what to expect but the tour was excellent. From memory, I believe the tour was free. The tour was mainly completed in the living room & felt 'so real' however we did get to venture to other areas of the house. There were pictures of the family around the house & of the Jewish people that had lived in the house for safety. The hiding place was well-preserved & you really got a sense of what it had been like living in the house during WWII. Yes, there was a large religious component but this does not draw away from the generosity & kindness that this woman & her family had to offer.

I felt this was one of the best tours that we went on during our time in Holland & would recommend this tour to others.

Visited November 2012

4 attraction reviews
“Plan your trip ahead of time, be prepared for evangelism, totally worth it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

My experience with the ten Boom House was very similar to my experience reading her book. I found the evangelism and religiosity somewhat off-putting, but not hateful or judgmental. I think that the tour (and the book) were completely worthwhile in spite of my lack of spiritual connection. The human story is amazing and the ability to see the places described in the book was incredible.

There are only a few set tour times every day and they are not posted online. I recommend getting there when the house opens for the morning and getting in line for the first tour of the day.

Drogheda
30 attraction reviews
“Very Inspiring”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Having read 'The Hiding Place' some years ago it was great to see where it all began. The tour was free and informative. Unfortunately the Gestapo wrecked the house when they raided it, so not a lot of the fixtures and fittings are original. However, the hiding place itself is well preserved. The faith of Corrie ten Boom (and indeed of our tour guide) was very movingly expressed.

Bairnsdale, Australia
12 attraction reviews
“Felt so real”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

It was wonderful to visit the Ten Boom Museum in Haarlem. The tour was very well presented by the host with great spiritual truths shared that one think about and digest. Not superficial as most tours. The reconstructed wall of the hiding place is very tastefully done. Pity the tour is only 1 hour, we would have preferred a 2 hour tour and a bit longer time in the "bookshop". I suggest you look at the DVD "The Hiding Place" before visiting and listen to "The Hiding Place" audio drama of Focus on the Family before you go for a deeper insight - both very well produced. Highly recommended!

Visited September 2013
Cape May, New Jersey
19 attraction reviews
“Sad Story But True”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We just happened upon a note about this place in one of our guide books on the Netherlands. One of the tours in English was offered at a time that worked with our schedule so we took the tour. Our guide, Mary, told us the story of how the ten Booms had had Jewish friends prior to the outbreak of the war. It just naturally followed that the family would hide Jews from the Nazis in their home. I won't tell you the whole story; but I will tell you that both my husband and myself we amazed at the devotion of Mr. ten Boom and his 2 daughters. Go take the tour. It is only about an hour. There is no charge, but the guide will request a donation at the end. No outside funding is received and the museum is run 100% by unpaid volunteers.