“Plan your trip ahead of time, be prepared for evangelism, totally worth it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Corrie ten Boom House

The Corrie ten Boom House
19 Barteljorisstraat | North Holland, 2002 CE Haarlem, The Netherlands (Centrum)
+31-23-531-0823
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 29 things to do in Haarlem
4 attraction reviews
“Plan your trip ahead of time, be prepared for evangelism, totally worth it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

My experience with the ten Boom House was very similar to my experience reading her book. I found the evangelism and religiosity somewhat off-putting, but not hateful or judgmental. I think that the tour (and the book) were completely worthwhile in spite of my lack of spiritual connection. The human story is amazing and the ability to see the places described in the book was incredible.

There are only a few set tour times every day and they are not posted online. I recommend getting there when the house opens for the morning and getting in line for the first tour of the day.

Drogheda
36 attraction reviews
“Very Inspiring”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Having read 'The Hiding Place' some years ago it was great to see where it all began. The tour was free and informative. Unfortunately the Gestapo wrecked the house when they raided it, so not a lot of the fixtures and fittings are original. However, the hiding place itself is well preserved. The faith of Corrie ten Boom (and indeed of our tour guide) was very movingly expressed.

Bairnsdale, Australia
16 attraction reviews
“Felt so real”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

It was wonderful to visit the Ten Boom Museum in Haarlem. The tour was very well presented by the host with great spiritual truths shared that one think about and digest. Not superficial as most tours. The reconstructed wall of the hiding place is very tastefully done. Pity the tour is only 1 hour, we would have preferred a 2 hour tour and a bit longer time in the "bookshop". I suggest you look at the DVD "The Hiding Place" before visiting and listen to "The Hiding Place" audio drama of Focus on the Family before you go for a deeper insight - both very well produced. Highly recommended!

Visited September 2013
Cape May, New Jersey
19 attraction reviews
“Sad Story But True”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We just happened upon a note about this place in one of our guide books on the Netherlands. One of the tours in English was offered at a time that worked with our schedule so we took the tour. Our guide, Mary, told us the story of how the ten Booms had had Jewish friends prior to the outbreak of the war. It just naturally followed that the family would hide Jews from the Nazis in their home. I won't tell you the whole story; but I will tell you that both my husband and myself we amazed at the devotion of Mr. ten Boom and his 2 daughters. Go take the tour. It is only about an hour. There is no charge, but the guide will request a donation at the end. No outside funding is received and the museum is run 100% by unpaid volunteers.

Los Angeles, California
22 attraction reviews
“Enlightening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We happened upon a tour in English at the right time and are so happy we went. The guide was a wonderful woman who explained the history of the family and the circumstances and reasons why the ten Boom family did what they did. We were able to see where the family hid the Jews. It was the other side of the Anne Frank story, this family saved Jews, many in fact. I would recommend going, whether you are Jewish or not.

Visited September 2013