“Inspirational, historical and local 'charm'” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Corrie ten Boom House

The Corrie ten Boom House
19 Barteljorisstraat | North Holland, 2002 CE Haarlem, The Netherlands (Centrum)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 14 Attractions in Haarlem
Type: Historic Sites, Museums, Specialty Museums, Cultural
Cape Town Central, South Africa
53 attraction reviews
“Inspirational, historical and local 'charm'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Managed to spend a short time in Haarlem recently - main point - to visit the Corrie ten Boom House and to relive her incredible life story, focusing on the ten Boom family WW2 experiences. In every respect this lived up to my expectations (as influenced directly by other Trip Advisor reviews). The guided tour (in my case in English) was well worth the long wait (I arrived in Haarlem at about 11am but had to wait until 3 pm for the English tour) - the guide was clearly a living fan of the ten Boom's (virtually a living relative!) and gave us an illuminating and 'come alive' tour and narrative. All the detail concerning how they lived, and 'hid' during the dark days of German occupation was there - detail which I have read of since a young child, and now was able to see for real - my imagination and Corrie ten Boom's writings came alive - finally. The Christian faith as held dearly to, and as experienced by the ten Boom's was both understated yet obvious - their fantastic, inspiring and balanced Christian worldview was clearly explained - I came away motivated and invigorated both in my mind and soul. Haarlem itself is a pleasant enough and typically Dutch town to spend a few hours in - visited the Grote Kerk and wandered around the local shops - in the rain - while waiting for my tour. Overall - this visit is as 'must see' as the Anne Frank house/museum in my opinion. In fact this makes a wonderful companion and comparator to the Anne Frank museum/house. A different yet equally poignant and inspiring attraction and experience.

Visited September 2012

3 attraction reviews
“Personal passionate guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

We did this to kill an hour or so on a very cold snowy day, but I really enjoyed it. Our guide spoke with passion in good English. She had a message but didn't preach and we felt that it was time well spent. There is no expectation of payment, which makes a pleasant change.

London
12 attraction reviews
“Echoes of the past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed this guided tour of the Corrie ten Boom House (religious family decided to hide resistance fighters, Jews and others persecuted during the Nazi regime's tyranny).
There are one hour tours in different languages. Credit to the tour guides, they are doing a great job.

Visited September 2012
Toronto
34 attraction reviews
“Know what this museum is about before going”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I see that there are some polarized reviews on this museum. I believe that most negative reviews are mostly due to expectation mismatch. The museum is free, but only open for 1-hour guided tours at scheduled hours. In addition to being a guide giving the history of the ten Booms and the house, the tour guide is a strong Christian evangelist as others have already mentioned. You may or may not take offense to that. But if you realize that Corrie ten Boom was a devout Christian herself, then perhaps this might become more reasonable to you. I'd imagine that if I were greeted by Corrie ten Boom as the guide, then the message evangelized to me wouldn't be that much different.

In my opinion, the tour would be better if it was cut a little shorter with some of the evangelism done away with. It's a good assumption that most visitors are more interested in learning the history than being converted. In any case, I think the history that you learn will outweigh any negative feeling you'll have regarding the evangelism, especially if you're prepared for it.

Visited November 2012
Georgia
7 attraction reviews
“An interesting tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Shed an interesting light on a sad time in history. We were able to actually stand in the closet where those sequestered were forced to hide. Chilling. Our guide was well versed and able to answer all our questions.

Visited August 2012