“Going Dutch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of De Blauwe Hollander

De Blauwe Hollander
Leidsekruisstraat 28, 1017 RJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
+31 20 627 0521
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Going Dutch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Decided that we wanted to try some real Dutch food. We were their for about 8.30 in the evening and thought that it would not be busy. Were we wrong. We had to wait 20 minutes to get a table. The place was packed. Whilst we were waiting to be served, people were coming in and being told that they could not say when a table would be free. Most people left.

Had to wait about 10 minutes before we were served. The server was very friendly. We just ordered a main course each with drinks. My wife had plaice as they had run out of cod and I had the lamb shank. The food arrived within 20 minutes and was worth the wait. Both dishes were excellent. I would say that it was the best meal of our trip.

Staff are friendly and attentive even though they were very busy as this was Easter Sunday.

The decor was very good and the prices were reasonable.

If you want to try Dutch food, then this is a restaurant to try. Book in advance if you don't like waiting.

I definitely recommend you give DE Blauwe Hollander a try.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Didn't disappoint after reading the good reviews.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Situated near one of the nightlife squares, we actively sought out this restaurant and were glad we did.

Friendly, causal service of some good grub. A small but traditional menu, the food quality couldn't be faulted and portion size was excellent. Good atmosphere as well, and the prices were certainly reasonable.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“If you are hungry this is the place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went here after seeing the review in tripadvisor, and were not disappointed, large plates of local food. The staff were friendly and at under £20 pp decent value.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Providence, Rhode Island
“Good Traditional Dutch Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were looking for a traditional meal on our first night in Amsterdam. This is a very attractive restaurant located in a busy entertainment, restaurant area just outside of downtown Amsterdam. Lots of activity in what seemed to be a very safe area. We had booked tickets on an evening canal cruise so advised our server we needed prompt service and was readily accommodated. I had the Hotch Potch( I think this is how it is spelled), my sisters had steak and one had sea bass. I absolutely loved my meal as did the sister with the steak. My other sister did not enjoy her meal, fish was too strong, although I tasted it and thought is very good. I would recommend this restaurant and would return again if I were in Amsterdam.

• Visited March 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“too casual service for what could be a little gem”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I went to this eaterie with my wife on Tuesday after travelling from England. We were very tired and hungry and this place looked like it could do the job.
We ordered a platter of cold starter (they hadn't turn on the fryier) which was a feast of cubed cheese and thickly cut sausage served with mustard and bread. We then ordered two main courses and only after a few minutes we were told that the lamb was not available. We decided to just share one main as the starter had done his job pretty well. The Beef chunk on top of a mountain of well made carrot and potato mash with some excellent gravy was just right for us to leave on a high note. The waitress from her side was very friendly and could have done with a little brief from the chef on what was available or not.

• Visited March 2013