“too casual service for what could be a little gem” 3 of 5 stars
Review of De Blauwe Hollander

De Blauwe Hollander
Leidsekruisstraat 28, 1017 RJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
+31 20 627 0521
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #129 of 2,627 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Brighton, United Kingdom
“too casual service for what could be a little gem”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I went to this eaterie with my wife on Tuesday after travelling from England. We were very tired and hungry and this place looked like it could do the job.
We ordered a platter of cold starter (they hadn't turn on the fryier) which was a feast of cubed cheese and thickly cut sausage served with mustard and bread. We then ordered two main courses and only after a few minutes we were told that the lamb was not available. We decided to just share one main as the starter had done his job pretty well. The Beef chunk on top of a mountain of well made carrot and potato mash with some excellent gravy was just right for us to leave on a high note. The waitress from her side was very friendly and could have done with a little brief from the chef on what was available or not.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding people...EAT HERE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Dutch cuisine at its best served up with a smile and efficiency.The cost was reasonable for two people and not the high prices we sometimes get in a top capital European city.
The ambience was was very cosy and there were no time constraints on eating your meal so it was an extremely enjoyable eating experience .
You can find this eatery in th heart of " leidesplein ".
Go enjoy folks!
PS. Check the specials before you order AND ALL THE SERVINGS ARE VERY VERY LARGE!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Essex, UK
“Lovely Dutch food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

While on holiday in Amsterdam my partner and I thought we must try some Dutch cuisine (well when in Rome...or should that be Amsterdam :) ). We came across this restaurant while strolling round Leidsekruisstraat and decided to give it a go. Really glad we did.

The service was friendly and relaxed and the food was plentiful. We could only manage main courses but starters and desserts looked and sounded lovely. The hotchpotch was lovely, very filling and warming which was great for a freezing cold day. The chicken satay was brilliant too.

Singapore, Singapore
“Very traditional Dutch cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Leidsekruisstraat is a street filled with various affordable eateries, De Blauwe Hollander being one of them. It offers extremely traditional Dutch food such as stampot and pea soup.

I enjoyed Dutch food the last time I visited the Netherlands (at a far more expensive place), so I was willing to give the cuisine another try in this particular visit - did not disappoint!

Partner and I took a combination set (not from the menu booklet but) from the chalkboard behind - I believe the combination set is changed from time to time.

Our set included pea soup with rye bread, stamppot with beef steak, and one traditional dessert. We upgraded the unknown dessert (with a top-up charge) to an apple pie, and also got a cappuccino and a small beer glass.

The pea soup tasted like we expected, same for the stampot. The beef steak was so huge that we had to sit around quite awhile before we were able to finish it. Hearty portions indeed!

The final bill excluding tips was just €25.85, and it was an extremely filling meal indeed. Would recommend this homely cuisine to others who are interested in trying traditional Dutch cuisine.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Amazing food & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I came here around 7pm on a weekday and it was deserted. The service was amazing and they were quick to get us our drinks and food. It was an insane amount of food! I had planned on getting dessert but the minute the plates were put in front of me, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I was torn between the beef hotchpotch or the meatball one and the server recommended the latter. It was almost perfect—the bacon bits just were too salty. We also had the baked sea bass which turned out to be grilled, but it was a happy surprise. The menu said it came with cabbage and tomatoes which ended up being shaved cabbage with a vinaigrette and a spicy tomato paste-like sauce—really tasty! The Hopjes coffee candies that they give you at the end were a nice touch too. I can't wait to come back here the next time I'm in Amsterdam.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere