“We were lucky to be around...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of White Elephant

White Elephant
Van Woustraat 3, 1074 AA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
020-6795556
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #777 of 2,434 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Description: Royal Thai cuisine.
“We were lucky to be around...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

As we stayed outside of the center area (the Pijp), I didn't expect much from the area, and I was so hungry, I almost settled for a fast food place.
And all of a sudden, we spotted that restaurant. From the outside, it seems very ornate, heavily designed so you will not miss this restaurant as a Thai place... located in that street, I thought it must be local Thai place with regular dishes.
We came in, half an hour before the restaurant closes, and were asked only to invite main dishes. I read the menu and was very surprised. There was a big variety of dishes from different types of meats and vegetarian food as well. There are 3 level of spiciness (rated by number of elephants) and there are non spicy foods too. I don't eat spicy food, so i had to choose from a smaller variety of dishes. The service was great and pleasant, and after 15 minutes approx, we got our food.
The food was very rich and heavy flavored (which is good). With Thai aroma i almost never had in a Thai restaurant before. Though the dish wasn't suppose to be spicy, as in Thailand, everything is a little bit spicy after all... :)
I had the non spicy lamb dish, and my partner had a type of fish, both were great.

I know this restaurant is not in the center, but it worth the walk/drive. You take tram number 4 to Stadhouderskade, and from there it's 2 minutes walk.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Geneva, Switzerland
“Tastefully anf friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

A nice and friendly restaurant. Excellent, tasty dishes. Plenty of traditional choices and specials. Service was warm, friendly and professional.

Detroit, Michigan
“A Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were the first ones there upon their opening for dinner. Like most Americans, we think that you eat dinner at 6:00 or 7:00 (how unEuropean!). We were greeted warmly at the door by a lovely server, and were pleasantly surprised by the rich Thai decor and table settings. My appetizer of about 7 samples of their appetizers was presented artistically, and each one was unique in taste, very good.
Ordered Pad Thai since I am familiar with this dish at other Thai restaurants, and their version was wonderful and tasty. All offset with jasmine tea in clear glass teapots with silver cup strainers. The service was attentive and charming. Prices are about typical for Amsterdam good restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam
“Excellent; one of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I love this authentic classical Thai restaurant. Wonderful surroundings with lots of wooden decorations, very attentive service and a fine menu. Also an extensive wine list. I had the Nua pad bai krapauw last time (one of the spicier meals on the menu) and for desert banana in coconut milk with icecream; it was wonderful :) Thank you White Elephant.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alberta, Canada
“I was a little disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I enjoy Thai food, but I found the meal I had rather bland. This is the first time this has happened to me in a Thai restaurant. The service was spotty. I was in a group of six people and one of us didn't get our appetizer. It took 10 minutes to get it. Four of us ordered desert and it never came. The desert did show up on the bill, but by then we were leaving and asked for the bill to be corrected. I am not sure if I would give the restaurant a second chance.

Visited July 2013