“Tastefully anf friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of White Elephant

White Elephant
Van Woustraat 3, 1074 AA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
020-6795556
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #780 of 2,435 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Description: Royal Thai cuisine.
Geneva, Switzerland
“Tastefully anf friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

A nice and friendly restaurant. Excellent, tasty dishes. Plenty of traditional choices and specials. Service was warm, friendly and professional.

Detroit, Michigan
“A Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were the first ones there upon their opening for dinner. Like most Americans, we think that you eat dinner at 6:00 or 7:00 (how unEuropean!). We were greeted warmly at the door by a lovely server, and were pleasantly surprised by the rich Thai decor and table settings. My appetizer of about 7 samples of their appetizers was presented artistically, and each one was unique in taste, very good.
Ordered Pad Thai since I am familiar with this dish at other Thai restaurants, and their version was wonderful and tasty. All offset with jasmine tea in clear glass teapots with silver cup strainers. The service was attentive and charming. Prices are about typical for Amsterdam good restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam
“Excellent; one of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I love this authentic classical Thai restaurant. Wonderful surroundings with lots of wooden decorations, very attentive service and a fine menu. Also an extensive wine list. I had the Nua pad bai krapauw last time (one of the spicier meals on the menu) and for desert banana in coconut milk with icecream; it was wonderful :) Thank you White Elephant.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alberta, Canada
“I was a little disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I enjoy Thai food, but I found the meal I had rather bland. This is the first time this has happened to me in a Thai restaurant. The service was spotty. I was in a group of six people and one of us didn't get our appetizer. It took 10 minutes to get it. Four of us ordered desert and it never came. The desert did show up on the bill, but by then we were leaving and asked for the bill to be corrected. I am not sure if I would give the restaurant a second chance.

Visited July 2013
amstedam
“fancy name and decor but average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

When we saw the menu I thought that the restaurant was serving a thai cuisine a little inventive and different from the thai restaurant in china town, maybe a bit more refined.. but i was really not impressed by my dishes: "Poh Pia Savoey
Spring rolls from old recipe with pork, water chestnuts, shi-taki and coriander root" very dry, I could not taste the promised flavors, it was very boring and blend, then the main " -Gaeng Te Po Crispy Victoria bass filet with morning glory in a sauce of red curry, lemon leaf, tamarind, palm sugar, bergamot and peanuts"( a fried fish with red curry sauce + rice) the presentation was ok but again no specific flavors, could not taste the bergamot or the lemon leaf, and the fish was blend...the sauce was very rich and thick, not great.
As everyone says the service is not good,..we had a terrible waiter taking care of us, not welcoming (did not say hello), not smiling, not trying to please (i said we wanted some water he came back with one glass of water, for 2??), not saying good bye.. 65 euros for 2 mains, 1 starter to share, one beer and one glass of white wine... We feel that Dish fancy names and restaurant decor is not enough to justify such a price tag, food and service need improvement!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Swen R, Owner at White Elephant, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor,
I guess you were here last friday. The last Friday and Saturday, we were more busy than normal on this time of the year. That is not an excuse for food or service not up to standard.
You are mentioning 2 of your dishes.
Springrolls, we make 3 times a week. It was made fresh on Friday. I tasted myself the spring roll on Saturday, and found it too be indeed not as normal, too weak in taste. A new batch was made.
I can only pass on my excuses for this. About the Gaeng Te Po, the crispy fish being blend, I cannot say other than being surprised. This is a best-seller, and first time ever I hear about a complaint. Obviously, the kitchen must have worked too quick on getting this dish out, not paying enough attention. Sorry for that. The Chef Cook is presently not in the kitchen, being in Thailand on vacation. The Sous Chef in charge now is doing a very good job. Sometimes things can go wrong. This time in your case. I am sorry for that.
About the lack of service. That will be addressed to everyone involved. As you say, too many remarks on this, and it is a process that takes a lot of effort to change. For sure, we will improve on this.