“Cancellation upon arrival” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Maggy's Bed and Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Maggy's Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Maggy's Bed and Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Martelaarsgracht 9, 1012 TN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #265 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Cancellation upon arrival”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Judging from the reviews on this page, it seems like the plumbing problems are plaguing Maggy's B&B unreasonably frequently.

I was only informed that my booking was canceled upon arrival, when I unsuccessfully tried to get into the premise with an intention of checking in. After ringing the bell 3 times, I called the owner, who adviced me to meet her in nearby chip shop, where she informed me, that there was a problem with toilets, gave me back the booking fee and sent me off to find another place to stay during the weekend (and it's not that easy, Amsterdam is a popular weekend destination). Oh, and she added "At least I paid your deposit back, I didn't have to do it".

I was lucky enough to find another place, but my travel budget was blown out, I had to kill some of my travel plans in order to be able to stay under a roof during a Valentine's weekend with my partner.

Maggy is completely unreliable, and if you'd rather not start your Amsterdam visit stressing about finding a place to stay, DO NOT BOOK A ROOM AT HER PLACE.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

If you want a roof over your head for a few nights with the best location in Amsterdam then stay here. If you are used to the Ritz, scared of a few more stairs than usual and plan to stay in your room drinking earl grey then stay at Hotel De L'Europe for 400 euro a night. This is a top draw budget hotel that does not pretend it is anything else.

On a negative note, the weather was downright treacherous! there was no mention of this in the booking or when we arrived at the hotel. However I do understand that Maggy has a hotel to run aswell as fix the weather so will only hold the hotel part responsible for this. I will be staying here again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Sheffield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We booked this accommodation in June and when we arrived were kept at the door and told by someone (not the proprietor) that the bathroom was broken, given our money back, and shown the door. It was 3pm on a very busy Amsterdam Friday. No advice or assistance in finding alternative accommodation was offered. Nothing under 300 euros was available except for a nearby hotel undergoing renovation where we were offered a very basic room for 140 euros. During our search for alternative accommodation, a number of proprietors said smilingly that this was a common ploy with Maggys, that they book the room for a cheap price online, then sell it on the day for much more and turn people away. Make up your own mind and book this accommodation at your own risk.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

On arrival we were advised our room was no longer available due to a plumbing issue, via a text message. Left us stranded in Amsterdam without any accommodation, on a busy Saturday night. Ruined the weekend as we had to spend 4 hours walkong around Amsterdam to find other accommodation. Total shambolic bed and breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Me & my wife Margery paid for three nights but left after one. Rooms are dirty with no sheets on bed.
We also see two mice running around our room but believe they were trying to escape!
Maggy's B & B makes Villa Bella in Margate UK look like the Bellagio Las Vegas!

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Cost us more than we where quoted, the 4 person room was just 4 single mattresses on the floor with ripped bed sheets and bathroom door wouldn't shut. Stayed at some rubbish hotels/hostels in Amsterdam but this is the worst by far.

• Stayed October 2012
Reykjavik, Iceland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The rooms were fine. We stayed in a room by a window. But the window was in a tunnel; figures that the view was nothing at all. This place is not a bed and breakfast but not bad at all. I liked being there. 5 mins to the train station and 5 mins downtown.
Definitely not pricey.
We did book an apartment when we were there for 4 days later, but when we got there again the owner told us that the toilet was broken and she had nothing for us. That was kind of disappointing for tired travelers, but we managed.
The crepe bar next door is great!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Maggy's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!