“Attention!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Carousel Pancake House

Carousel Pancake House
Weteringschans circle, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
Website
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
“Attention!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I spent a weekend with friends in Amsterdam and of course we couldn't miss the Heineken experience nearby. We decided to get some food before and stopped by at the restaurant. I ordered a Cheeseburger with fries and my friends pancakes. Actually the burger meat tasted somehow strange and the fries were not really fresh. My friend eveb found a blank toast underneath her pancake. We didn't know why! The waitress was unfriendly and seemed to don't give anything about the customers. I really didn't feel well afterwards and it got worse in the evening. I had a terrible night with all symptoms of a food poisoning. I haven't eaten somewhere elseon that day. So please avoid that place. I for sure cannot recommend this crappy place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Food Is Fine, Service Not So Much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I had eaten here 17 years ago and hoped for another nice meal. It turned out to be a very interesting experience.

When we arrived to have some breakfast, the sign on the door was still "closed," though they were indeed open. The part of the restaurant where we were seated (I'm not even sure there was anyone else there) could have used some dusting, judging by the spider web - with spider in the center - suspended between two chairs.

We gave the waiter our order. My husband ordered a coffee with his breakfast, I ordered a pancake with powdered sugar, NO butter. I also asked for a fruit bowl, which they don't have on their menu.

What we got: my husband was given a bottle of cola. Huh? The waiter seemed a bit annoyed when he again asked for a cup of coffee instead of cola. I received my pancake with powdered sugar...and a big pat of butter in a little butter puddle in the middle. Again I pointed out to the waiter that that was not what I asked for. This time clearly irritated he whisked away my pancake, only return moments later with a pancake that was covered with a thick layer of powdered sugar. My suspicion that it was the same pancake was confirmed when I located the same pat of butter in the middle as I scraped off the excess sugar. I suppose he thought I wouldn't notice? We had a good laugh about it though.

Instead of a fresh fruit bowl (which they don't have), they did put some fruit on a plate for me. I appreciated that.

Otherwise the food was good, but I think next time we'll try another place.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tigard, Oregon
“Absolute must if traveling with kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

When traveling with kids, even if teenagers, easy food is critical to survival. Whether the pancake had ice cream, chocolate, or grand marnier, these pancakes were great. By the way, Dutch pancakes are more like crepes. While the kids recharge with something tasty, you are able to have a large extra cold Heineken to recharge your battery as well. Also on the menu were hamburgers and sandwiches but we didn't try these. The service was a little slow but when in Amsterdam, you shouldn't rush through anything. This provides a nice stop on the way to the Albert Cuyp market.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fauske
“Okay food :)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

This was an okay restaurant, the waiter was a little short and not so friendly, not exactly smiling :p decorating in the cafe was very simple. The food was average, but with a little salt it was better :)

Hackensack, New Jersey
“Nice place for pancakes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Went here for a late breakfast and food was decent. A large selection of pancakes, either sweet or salty. Sweet had many choices of fruit and shipped cream/ ice cream , while the salty had breakfast meats ( bacon, am, sausage etc) with eggs. If in your area or on your walking path I would recommend to try, but wouldn't go out of my way to get to.