“Birthday Surprise” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Toscanini

Toscanini
Lindengracht 75, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)
020-623-2813
Neighborhood: Jordaan
long island NY
“Birthday Surprise”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Recommended by both Fodors & Frommers so we walked from our hotel (15min). We arrived early by Amsterdam standards 5:30-6pm and asked for a table. Received a very snooty reception by the hostess & asked if we had a reservation. (neither Fodors/Frommers mentioned that one was needed). We replied no and were told "can't seat you" and totally ignored us. It was my husband's birthday and the place was empty- really they could have found a table to seat us that early!! This was not a great welcome to Amsterdam!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nantwich, United Kingdom
“recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was recommended by a work colleague of my wife's, who lives in the same street, stating it is his favourite place. I would have to say the food was excellent, it also has to be said it was the most expensive of the restaurants we ate at. you lot down there must have been on a bad day. The staff were excellent, polite attentive, quick, friendly blah blah blah. I would also say this is not an Italian in the truest form, but takes it's inspiration from Italy, Food and Service in the States has to be looked at on it's own as it's very different. As a Brit I am used to slovenly service and food that is quite often below standard. I am a fully trained chef and yake it from me the food here is great, and would recommend this to any one, although you should of course take into consideration others reviews

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York, NY
“Pretty good Italian, but nothing out of this world”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Enjoyed my time here, food was good. Nothing out of this world amazing though. Admittedly I am rather spoiled when it comes to Italian (as a native NYer), so the fact that I thought the food was good and the service pretty decent makes this an above average Italian joint in Amsterdam, that's for sure.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phladelphia, PA
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was the least favorite restaurant of our week in Amsterdam. The service was pretentious and condescending. They were dismissive of the few menu questions we asked. The food was served in a timely fashion but was of average quality. Would recommend elsewhere for Italian cuisine.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Loved the Ravioli and Antipasto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just arrived in Amsterdam today and what a nice surprise to find this restaurant for dinner. Thankfully, my clients and I had reservations. Toscanini stays busy. I was impressed with my ravioli filled with veal, pork and sausage cooked in a butter sauce. The antipasto was very different than what I am used to in the U.S. The tray was filled with magnificent delights plus several small dishes were put on the table with other interesting items. The menu is wonderful and service is great. It's worth the time to dine at Toscanini. You will not be disappointed. There is not one thing I can say wrong about this restaurant. Dine there and ENJOY!

• Visited August 2013