“Great steaks, great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Loetje

Cafe Loetje
Johannes Vermeerstraat 52, 1071 DT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)
+31 20 662 8173
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Museumplein
Singapore, Singapore
“Great steaks, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My girlfriends and I came here for our last meal in Amsterdam. We waited around 30 minutes for a table (it was 3 of us- you can make a reservation if there are more than 6 of you). While we were waiting, we ordered fries and beers and sat at the bar. The restaurant was already very busy at 6:30pm! The kitchen is upstairs, so sometimes it takes awhile for the food to come (especially when we ordered fries at the bar. It felt like a long time because we were so hungry!). We were seated and ordered three of the Bali steak, which came after 10 minutes and was quite yummy. We also ordered two salads and one frieds as the side- these were very generous portions. The meat was a bit too salty for me, but my friends thought it was fine. The restaurant was quite big with two sections; it was noisy but still quite a cozy atmosphere. The staff are a bunch of friendly young adults who are very efficient. I definitely recommend this one!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
“An Amsterdam meat fest tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Yummy comfort food. Really lively bistro atmosphere. If you are 6 or more, you can reserve, so get together a few friends and spend less time waiting at the bar. We went at about 8'ish on a week day, and it was hopping, but not wild. We got two seats at the bar after about five minutes and then a table about twenty minutes later.

I was all ready for the steak (which my wife had, and it was delicious, as advertised), when I saw a plate of calf's liver, smothered in red onions and bacon, go by. Since I only get to eat organ meat in restaurants, I went for it, and it was fabulous: tender, tons of very soft onions and crisp bacon (it seemed like 1/2 a pound at least). Talk about meat sweats! It was wonderful. We recovered from all that protein enough to Hoover a piece of the sticky pudding cake as well. Service was incredibly brisk and friendly, despite the clamor and buzz of the place.

PS Salad or not? We did (one between two) and it was a nice counterpoint to the meat. Frites? Of course...

Visited May 2013
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
“Awesome steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The steak here is without a doubt the best we've ever had. In 5 nights out, we ate here twice. Be warned, go early or end up waiting for a table. Europeans take their time over meals, so table turnover is not that fast. Our only complaint was the service - took a while to get served, and then a long time to get the check once we were (obviously) finished. The second time there we just stood up and walked to the bar to pay when we were done.

Visited May 2013
Edmonton, AB Canada
“Good food in Museum Quarter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Cafe Loetje. We didn't have their specialty (steak) we had the fish instead and it was excellent. The fries and salad were also good. I wasn't wild about the sticky pudding but everyone else seems to be, so maybe just me?

We went at 6:00 and finally got a table at 7:00 after standing in the crush at the bar. If we ever go back we'll arrive early. The service wasn't bad and people were friendly. They do have an English menu although by the time we got in we'd figured out most of the blackboard menu with the help of other people waiting. We were amused to see dogs under the tables, welcomed by the staff and given water and biscuits.

Visited April 2013
Edinburgh
“The best steaks in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Lives up to expectations, we arrived and put our names on the list and were told it would be about an hour to get a table. The place is buzzing, waiters delivering steak after steak to the heaving tables...what should you eat? Steak and frites! That's why you go there. My wife doesn't eat meat but humoured me by going and then had a mouthwatering sole that fell off the bone! Top marks guys, it is food theatre and if it isn't a national institution it should be.....the steak is perfect.

Visited April 2013