“Place to avoid” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tokyo Cafe - CLOSED

Tokyo Cafe
Spui 15, 1012WX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)
+31 20 489 7918
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dam Square
Description: Located in the central Amsterdam within the walking distance from Kalverstraat. The restaurant can be reach via tram 2, 9, 4, 16 and 24 from centraal station.
Kudelstaart, The Netherlands
“Place to avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Terrible terrible service: they don't know what customer service is. And double check the bill! Probably they will charge you an extra bottle of wine you never ordered...

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Uithoorn, The Netherlands
“It could be better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

It is not bad if you go with a group of friends after having a few drinks (that means half drunk and you just look for something to fill your stomach with... although in that case I would choose the Febo). We were a group of 8 and had difficulties to fit around the table, which was far too small.

It is an "all you can eat" type of restaurant, but the system doesn't really work; you really need to pay extra attention or you will miss some (or many) of the dishes you order. You can order as much dishes as you want every round, but most of us just made it to the fourth round ordering 5 dishes per round. Most of the restaurants that have this system in place offer a way to track what you ordered during every round (paper with a line for every round, with small drawings of every dish), so that if you miss some dish you can prove it by simply pointing it out in the list. This restaurant doesn't have such a system, meaning that there is no way for you to prove that you are missing some dish; some of us even missed 4 out of 5 dishes in some round...

The food was nothing special; the menu said chicken, but it didn't look like chicken, didn't smell like chicken and didn't taste like chicken... I hope, at least, that whatever that was it came out of an egg. The rice of the sushi was poor, and the fish not really fresh.

The service was not good, but you cannot really blame them when they have loads of tables to serve and the system itself doesn't help at all. I guess they did their best. We were kicked out at 22.30 sharp, some of us still had some beer left. In their favor, I have to say that at least they kicked us out with good manners.

They need to change the system they have and treat people a bit better (like human beings, instead of like cattle).
This was the second time that we were there, to see if something had changed after our visit the year before, but it is still the same. There won't be a third.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, England
“Just as good as first time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

It had been 4 years since I returned to this restaurant and I have to say that the quality of the sushi is just as good as I remembered. Having noticed that there are more of this all you can eat restaurants in Amsterdam than my last visit, I wasn't really sure which one to go to.

I have made reservation both here and at the Genki. Both being literally the same distance from the hotel we are staying we both decided to go back to what we know best and besides, the slow service at Genki mentioned in some reviews has put me off a bit!

Service here is quick and cheerful, we both went for the deluxe menu at £27.80 per head and drinks are reasonably priced too.

I'm not sure if the service here varies depending on how busy they are, but just to give you an idea, we went on a Tuesday evening and table booked for 8:15pm, we were shown to our table straight away, the restaurant wasn't that full, not sure if it had to do with the fact that Holland was playing against Turkey for the World Cup Qualifying stages ( although Holland is through already!).

Anyway, thanks for another wonderful meal! Hope I don't have to wait another 4 years to return!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Lucija, Malta
“Great Japanese Buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

we went to try this restaurant and we where satisfied with most of the food (the lamb chops where cooked perfectly) and the sashimi was very fresh overall a very delightful experience and will definitely try and visit again with my fiancee :)

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Antwerp, Belgium
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

When we were driving to Amsterdam, we read that this restaurant was 'bad' on a sushi-dining website, although most of the recent reviews where quite positive. We decided that the mark 'bad' must have been about accuracy of the website involved, rather than describing the restaurant and we wanted to check it out for ourselves.

After entering we were quickly guided to a table through the very deep and spacy, but still cosy room. We were mainly interested in the two available all-you-can-eat formulas. The cheaper one gives a very good basic choice, but the slightly more expensive full option version includes sashimi and more exclusive food. You can only pick one formula per table, but that was no issue at all, as we all noticed some favourites in the extended formula.

The house rules were easy to remember: as long as you don't order more than you can teat, there are no limitations in the number of rounds, nor is there a limitation in the number of items you can pick per round. It was the first time that we encountered this method and it worked absolutely perfect. The only setback was that you have only 90 minutes to order and 120 minutes to finish your meal. That's too sharp. We don't like being forced to hurry up. We Belgians we love to eat in a relaxed way, not just 'feed' ourselves as fast as we can. This is one of the 2 disadvantages urging me to rate very good in stead of excellent.

The kitchen is fast, the staff friendly and well trained to look for next rounds. If you order a large round, part of the food is brought to the table already while the kitchen continues to finish the list. That is perfect, as you can start right away. They forgot to bring us ginger and wasabi, but I must say, I didn't really miss it, as the things we ordered tasted good without too much additions. When leaving, we noticed that all other tables did have some, so this must have slipped their mind when we entered. The plates were light and had a plastic feeling, but it didn't bother me at all.

The sushi was... excellent. Good portions, not too big, fresh... some creative flavours. I really would like to visit again. The backside of the menu card contains other food like salads, sweet potatoes, meat and other warm food, etc.... The descriptions of the food may be a bit too rudimentary (sauce used not always specified...).

Except from having to check our watch all the time, everything went fine... until we ordered dessert. I do not understand how a kitchen staff *so good* in preparing the sushi, can be so incompetent in preparing a simple dessert as a pancake with ice cream. It came to the table on a plastic 'childrens plate', accompanied by a metal spoon that folds just by looking or pointing at it, and it was COLD. COLD is OK for the ice cream, but not for the pancake. Also, I don't eat pancake with a folding spoon. I actually have never ever seen ice cream being served on a COLD fluffy pancake. So, dessert was a bit of a mild shock after the excellent main course. But let's not exaggerate this... it's a detail.

As long as you just take the ice cream and stay away from the pancake, I can really recommend a visit. When I would visit Amsterdam again, they'll most probably see us back at the Tokyo Café, although I INSIST that they give Belgian tourists the time they really need to enjoy their dinner. Let's say: 2 hours of ordering and 3 hours in total to make room for the next shift.

Also interesting to know: they have a lunch-formula, which is even better value for money... so if you're really hungry around noon... do not hesitate.

• Visited September 2013