“Lovely little place” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
“Lovely little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a small, lovely restaurant with excellent service and good value. We had a very enjoyable, relaxed meal here on our last night of a 12 day trip. Staff was very helpful and we were not made to feel uncomfortable when we opted for wines by the glass, not bottle, and only had three courses. Not the case in other restaurants we visited. Food was very creative with the amuse-bouche being some of our favorite's of the meal. Husband is not a foodie, so some courses were a little much for him, but overall it was very good and an excellent value.

Visited October 2013

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“superb dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I have experienced a superb evening dining at this wonderful lovely little restaurant. Booking was arranged for me and I had no idea what to expect, but the surprise was a great one. Reception was friendly and service was perfect. Personnel knew the menu in all its detail. The entire evening is like a surprise, you don't know what you are getting to eat until you had about 3 to 4 amuses and the cook comes over and lets you choose between two spectacular 3 course menus. In between the courses more little tasteful surprises are served. It has been a long time I had such a great dinner and I am sure it will take a long time I will have it again. Or, I have to return.

Visited September 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Elegant, Intimate, Exclusive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We live close to the restaurant, and this was our first trip - we were full of anticipation and the experience did not disappoint.

Food presentation was exceptional - service was just right, wine selection very appropriate. We thought the dishes were delicate and well balanced, particularly the fish.

We went as a couple, and it was an excellent "date night" experience. Highly recommended.

Visited September 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Badly Let Down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

On arriving in Amsterdam, our first thought was not to check out the beautiful city but the restaurants we particularly wanted to visit. The first was Beulings. We spoke to the chef, who explained we could have a 3, 4 or 5 course meal and that there would be two choices for each course.  We booked in for as soon as we could but have never felt so let down by a restaurant!

On arrival we were welcomed and talked through the menu. I chose the fish option for both starter and main as I'm not that fond of meat.  The waiting staff were very knowledgable, the food well prepared and beautifully presented, including several amuse-bouche throughout the meal.  Sometimes the food was excellent and  sometimes over fussy with too many distracting flavours, but that's just personal taste. The real problem came with the main course. We had been waiting quite some time after finishing our starter, when the waitress advised that there had been a problem in the kitchen, and there was no more fish. I was offered the other main course, lamb, or the same dish as I had just eaten for my starter as a main course. Reluctantly I agreed to lamb, but made it clear I wasn't keen.  Unfortunately I didn't like it at all, but my husband did, so ate mine too, no problem. However, just after he had finished, a couple who were sitting a few tables away from us who had arrived and ordered some time after us, were both brought the fish main course. After a short time the waitress realised that I had seen this, so approached me to tell me that yes, they had given the fish to these two diners because they “didn’t like meat”. We were offered a coffee or glass of wine by way of compensation. The bill was presented and paid for in full, well we did eat the food!

Tips for Beulings:

If you are only offering two choices per course, you must be aware when you take an order if you can cover it, and advise accordingly;

If you decide to hold back a dish to give to a later diner, be honest and explain the situation but I’m not sure I would ever want to feel like a second class customer in any restaurant;

Value each customer.  There is no prejudice on Tripadviser,  you are not judged by  looks, nationality, or pocket size!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Beulings, Eigenaar at Beulings, responded to this review, February 17, 2015
We have conctact the person who has writtn this unfortunate review and she actally wanted to remove the review, because she thought it was a bot harsh too. She only couldnt remove it anymore. We have the e-mail, of we send it through to tripadvisor, can you please remove the review?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Kidn regards,

Lisja
Beulings
Dinner Plain, Australia
“Pure gold”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Lisja , chef Bas and their staff have created a happy, festive atmosphere and offer outstanding food, wine and service. The tastefully decorated restaurant is small enough to be intimate, big enough to be interesting, with a couple of tables outdoors - where Lisja and her little son can often be seen shelling peas in the morning. The frequently changing set three or four course menu, with two options per course, is interspersed with amuses, so you actually get a whole succession of surprising delicacies to taste. Bas conjures up exquisite Franco-Italian concoctions with an exotic twist, in combinations an alchemist would envy. The result is pure gold. The secret is out so be sure to book..

• Visited August 2013