“Good food and great service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa
Overtoom 337, 1054 JM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)
020-6184472
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #805 of 2,317 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Vondelpark
Catania, Italy
“Good food and great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was our first experience with Ethiopian food, so we ordered the large platter of different foods- kind of like a sample platter. It was great. I also had the pumpkin soup, which was incredible. It seems as though this is a small, family owned and operated business. The service was great, and I am happy to say that the restaurant quickly filled up while we were dining, even though it was a bit early. Definitely check this place out.

“Great Tasting Food and Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

First time me and the family have eaten Ethiopian food, so didn't know what to expect. Staff were very friendly and happy to explain what was on the menu. A high chair was provided for our 10-month old.
All the food comes on one large dish on top of a pancake, with extra pancakes provided, and was all very tasty. We asked for the fish, but without the spices, for my 2-year old and she loved it, asking for more.
If I'm ever in Amsterdam again I would try to visit again.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Knoxville, Tennessee
“The owner was quite the gentleman”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I went to this place after visiting another African restaurant right down the street from them. Being in town on business, I was alone - and the other African restaurant didn't want to sit me. I was shocked - and didn't understand. Since there were no other black folks seated there, I assumed that had something to do with it - maybe having someone black eating there was cramping their style - anyway, they wouldn't seat me - I felt embarrased and very uncomfortable - so I just left. I wound up going right down the street to Addis Ababa - and upon entering, I told the owner about my experience at the other African restaurant. He said "well, you don't have to worry about that here - c'mon in and have a seat". After sitting there for a couple of minutes, I realized I was still effected by the other experience - and I noticed that I was one person sitting at a table for four - and I knew that he only kept the restaurant open for a few hours a day - so I finally got up, thanked the owner for his hospitality - but went on my way and ate somewhere else.

I just want to go on record and say that as an African American, I wasn't expecting treatment like what I got in the first restaurant - I was totally caught off guard by it - especially in Amsterdam of all places - and I really appreciated the way this kind gentleman at Addis Ababa treated me - It turned an otherwise sour evening into one that I'll remember with fondness.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tollesbury, England, United Kingdom
“Superb, Truly Superb, and Wonderful Beer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Two People, Both (effectively) vegetarian, One Table.
One simple order: "Feed Us!"
This was translated into the Vegetarian Sampler (or something along those lines) which is a huge plate covered with Injura (buckwheat pancakes, gallettes, something along those lines) and very beautifully presented heaps of seven different vegetable dishes. and because there were two of us, there were two samples of each dish. OK, so one of them was not to my taste, but that's me! Fabulous (re)introduction to a different cuisine.

Oh, and the beer! Banana Beer, and Coconut Beer. [sorry, didn't try the Mango Beer!]
Just Try It! It is like Summer Holiday in a Glass!

Friendly people, nice place to visit for a meal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“Spectacular Social Eating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

If you are in to social eating - I mean eating and tasting different styles of food with friends, family, co-workers, than this is the place for you. Be warned it will normally be spicy but you will have an experience on your tongue like dancing fairies with fire and pitch forks.

The service is brilliant, owned and operating by a family from Ethiopia. They are the first Ethiopian restaurant to be established in the Netherlands. Enjoy eating with your hands and listening to the wonderful native music.

• Visited March 2013