“Liked it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa
Overtoom 337, 1054 JM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)
020-6184472
Neighborhood: Vondelpark
Rome, Italy
“Liked it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

When I entered the restaurant I was unsure since it was empty on a Thursday night (which is usually not a good sign!). However I had a good surprise. It was the first time I tried Ethiopian food and it was very good! Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the dishes, but we ordered two diffrent ones and ended up with an enormous mixed plate with quite a few different kinds of vegetables and meat. We ate the "Ethiopian way", i.e., with our hands and helping us with the bread, and it was amusing and interesting. We accompanied this with a bottle of red wine, which was not superlative but enjoyable. The service was good and the owner was very nice (he came to ask where we were from and if we were enjoying, etc). I would say the price was medium for Amsterdam (45 euros in total). The only fault is that the restaurant is not particularly thrilling on the aesthetic point of view: it's quite plain, but overall ok. In conclusion I would recommend it!

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Superb ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Had visited this family owned restaurant with my friends on our 4 day stay in Amsterdam and found the hospitality way beyond comprehension unlike most ethiopian restaurants I have been to . The food is none to second in terms of its quality for the price u pay. besides when it comes to Ethiopian food, for me what counts most is how the servings reflect Ethiopianism where by they do put efforts to make sure you are satisfied, making me felt I am in addis. would definitely go back there ..

Steinbach, Germany
“Unfamiliar delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

How do you eat Ethiopian fare? The meat was spicy, lentils were the specialties, and at the end you get home-roasted Ethiopian coffee on the house. Down-to-earth atmosphere, good value.

Visited December 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A taste of Ethiopia in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This small ground floor restaurant is situated on a main road near to Vondel Park. My husband and I enjoyed a delicious, totally different (to us) , inexpensive meal, shared on a platter of casseroled lamb and a vegetarian meal, eaten with engeer (a type of pancake). Cutlery was also provided. A range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks were available and included coconut beer in a coconut shell and banana beer.
The staff were most hospitable and friendly, offering us a table indoors or on the pavement in front of the cafe, on a main road which was interesting, watching the trams and cyclists go by.
Tables were decorated with a rose and a candle.
We then recommended it to 2 more people, who we took with us during our holiday in Amsterdam and they also enjoyed it and would recommend. One of these was my elderly mother, almost 90 years of age! They made quite a fuss of her and as she couldn't manage a meal, they offered her a bowl of soup. Very obliging. Will definitely go there again.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Egham, United Kingdom
“Delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Food was very good and the atmosphere was indeed special and they also have enough vegan options. Coffee was also special as well as the beer from the coconut shell.

• Visited June 2012