“Falls-off-the-bone-and-melts-in-your-mouth ribs” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barbeque Castell

Barbeque Castell
Lijnbaansgracht 252-254, 1017 RK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
020-6228606
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Singapore
“Falls-off-the-bone-and-melts-in-your-mouth ribs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

On a friend's recommendation, I walked into Castell one evening after work.

After handing over my coat, I was ushered to the bar and that was to be my dining table for the night. And it was the first of many surprises to come.

I asked the waiter what I should order and without hesitating he said confidently, "Costeletas de Porco (Pork Ribs). You won't regret it." And who am I to argue or protest.

The ribs came and the sight that greeted me was of pure lust - slightly charred slab of chunky ribs glazed with shiny, sticky barbeque sauce. It was enough to turn a vegetarian into a carnivore! But as they say, the taste is in the pudding. So I passed on the cutlery and dived in with my fingers.

The soft succulent meat fell literally off the bone and when I put them into my mouth, it magically melted inside! The tenderness of the meat coated with the special sauce lingered long on my tongue and the aroma stayed on my fingers. It was simply divine.

Words cannot do justice to the experience. And I won't be surprised at all that I'll come back real soon.

• Visited October 2013

86% Recommend
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Our number one place for ribs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Castell has become my #1 steakhouse in amsterdam. We used to go to one of the chains, but since we've discovered Castell we dont go anywhere else and try to visit once a month at least. The ribs are especially good. The only thing that I personally dont like is the low seating, so we always try to sit at the bar. We even go so far as to go somewhere else if we cant sit at the bar. But your mileage may vary, plenty of people seem to like the seating.

Sussex
“At last...a great place to eat and relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Amsterdam has many things I enjoy but dining out has never been one of them, UNTIL now, this place has just improved my visits here 100%, the food is fantastic, great steaks, in fact a varied and imaginative menu to suit all tastes. Good staff, great ambience and good location. Dined here 2 out of 4 nights while in Amsterdam, next time will make it 4 out of 4 nights, nothing in the City compares, and have been visiting Amsterdam for years!!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Was very pleasantly surprised how good this place was. Amsterdam is famous for a lot of things but great restaurants doesn't readily spring to mind. However, this place was a great find. We had been recommended it several times but never bothered to try it. Just down a narrow street off Leidseplein Square, this place has a very cool and laid back atmosphere. It has plenty of outside seating for when the weather permits and is very chic inside. The service is pretty good and the food is second to none. Try the Surf and Turf or the mixed grill which is served on skewers - a great idea We ended up going back a second time during our stay and it was equally as good.

It is definitely on our list for our next rip and I couldn't fault it at all. It is very reasonably priced too, which is a bit of an anomaly for good restaurants in Amsterdam. To avoid any confusion, this place is more commonly known as En Castell, as well as Barbeque Castell.

Manchester
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were met at the entrance and instantly fell in love with the place. The minute we arrived our waitress told us there was a 45 minute wait and we could wait at the bar with a drink or choose to come back. We chose to have a lovely bottle of wine and were seated next to the bar. The ambience of the place instantly puts you in a good mood. The vibe is just right.
We got our seat at the bar in lass than the time stated and we werent disappointed. My husband had the T-Bone and jkt potato and I opted for the BBQ ribs. What a feast for the eyes without even tasting it we were hooked. we ate every morsel including the huge jkt potatoes - the only thing being Im not keen on Mayonnaise and the potato was covered in it but I ate it pushing some to the side.
Couldnt have asked for a nicer evening for my husbands birthday. Many thanks Castell x